Lavagh lies in a north east part of the civil parish of Killallaghtan barony of Kilconnell Co Galway. It is bounded by Royhill, Fahy and Ardruss townlands in this parish and by Gorrymore and Caltra in the parish of Aughrim in the said barony. It is situated two and half miles west of Aughrim.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books give no other spelling of this townland.
Down Survey map give no information on who owned this townland in the 1600s.
Bernard Coughlan (33) was married to Maria (30). She was recorded as a housekeeper. She was born in Co Roscommon. Bernard and his brother Patrick (27) were farmers. They were born in Co Galway. Patrick was single. The entire family could read and write. They were Roman Catholic. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms, 4 front windows and 4 outhouses. The census taken on the 1st of April 1901 show the house was built as a private dwelling. The walls were built with stone, brick or concrete. The roof was made with perishable material. Bernard Coughlan owned the land the house was situated on.
Bernard Coughlan (45) was a farmer. He was married for 15 years to Maria (46). She was born in Co Roscommon. Bernard brother Patrick (42) was single. Bernard and Patrick were born in Co Galway. The entire family could read and write. They were Roman Catholic. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 4 front windows. There were 7 outhouses: 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 barn. Bernard Coughlan owned the land the house was situated on.v
Add a comment about this page