Ballygreaney

Baile Ghráinne

Mike Kelly/Galway Rural Development

Ballygreaney / Baile Ghráinne                                                         Irish Grid: M 63769 37329

 

Author: Mike Kelly/Galway Rural Development

 

Description:

 

This townland is the property of Lord Clancarty who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains 151a. 0r. 8p., about 30 acres of which is bog, the remainder arable of middling good quality. It contains 1 village same name as townland. It pays £9. 16. 9. County Cess.

 

Situation:

Is situated in the western side of this parish in this barony of Tiaquin bounded by Killosolan, Eyre, Mount Bernard and Gortbrack townlands in this parish and by Killooaun in the parish of Cloonkeen in Tiaquin barony. This is a list of townlands that share a border with Ballygreaney.

 

Gortbrack

Killooaun

Killooaun Eyre

Mount Bernard

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

 

1911 Census

Overview of townland

There were 8 houses in total in this townland, of which all were built with 7 inhabited and house number 8 uninhabited. All are recorded as private dwellings. The houses all had stone or brick walls and all had a roof of thatch, wood or other perishable material with the exception of house number 5 which was slated. All of the dwellings were recorded as 2nd class with house number 2 as 3rd class. There was a total of 8 families and 27 people living in the townland of which 17 were male and 10 were female. All were Roman Catholic and all were born in County Galway. There was a total of 34 out buildings listed for the townland which comprised of a 7 stables, 5 cow houses, 4 calf-houses, 4 piggeries, 1 dairy, 7 fowl houses, 3 barns and 3 sheds.

  

House 1: Nevin

The household was headed by Edward Nevin, a 46-year-old single farmer who lived with his unmarried draper’s assistant brother Michael Nevin (47). Both occupants were Roman Catholic, had been born in County Galway, both could read and write and the two brothers spoke both Irish and English. The dwelling is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The roof of the house was thatch or wood and the walls stone or brick. There were 2 outbuildings consisting of a stable and a fowl-house. The census form was signed by Edward Nevin who was also the landholder.

 

House 2: Barrett/Gavin

The head of the household was Mary Barrett, a 70-year-old widowed farmer, who shared the house with a 55-year-old servant, Mary Gavin. Both women were Roman Catholic and both were from County Galway and could speak Irish and English. However, neither woman could read or write. The census was signed by Mary Barrett using her mark and was witnessed by Constable Fitzpatrick. The building is described as a 3rd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and no windows. The walls were of stone or brick and the roof wood or thatch. There were 2 outbuildings consisting of a stable and a fowl-house.

 

House 3: Nevin

The head of the family is recorded as John Nevin, a 47-year-old unmarried farmer who shared the house with his brother Michael (45) also single and described as a farmer’s son. Both brothers were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and spoke both Irish and English. Michael could read and write whereas John is listed as not being able to read. As such, the form was signed by John using his mark which was witnessed by Constable Fitzpatrick. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were of stone or brick and the roof was thatched. There were 3 outbuildings consisting of a stable, cow-house, and a fowl-house.

 

House 4: Bolton

The head of the family was Mary Bolton, a 58-year old widowed farmer. She had been married for 18 years and had 9 children all of whom were still living. She shared the house with her sons Marty (34), Michael (28), both described as farmers as well as her daughters Marian (27) and Kathleen (22).   No occupations are recorded for the daughters. Also in the house was Mary’s aunt, Catherine Bolton aged 75 and unmarried. All the siblings were also single. All the occupants were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and all could read and write. The languages spoken column of the census form was left blank except for Mary and her aunt who both spoke Irish and English. The house was described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 4 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were made from stone or brick and the roof of thatch or wood. There were 7 outbuildings consisting of a stable, cow-house, calf-house, piggery, fowl-house, a barn and a shed.

  

House 5: Mullin

The head of the family was 40-year old married farmer, Michael Mullin. He had been married to Annie (33) for 6 years and had 2 children both still living. He shared the house with his unmarried brother James Mullin (38) who is described as a farming assistant. Michael and Annie also had 2 sons Patrick (5) and James (3). The adults are recorded as being able to read and write but not the children. All the occupants were Roman Catholic, and all came from County Galway. Michael is recorded as speaking Irish and English but no language proficiency is recorded for the others. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling and had 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were of brick or stone and the roof was slated. There were 6 out buildings – stable, cow-house, calf-house, piggery, fowl-house and a barn.

 

House 6: Twohy

The head of the family is given as 40-year old married farmer, John Twohy. He lived with his wife Anne (38) and they had been married for 20 years, had 8 children with 5 still living. No occupation is given for Anne. They shared the house with their four sons, Patrick (16), a labourer, Martin (14), a tailor[i] , Thomas (10) and John (6) both scholars as well as their daughter Annie aged 4. All four siblings were unmarried. All the occupants were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and all could read and write with the exception of the youngest child. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof made of thatch or wood. The family had six outbuildings consisting of a stable, cow-house, calf-house, piggery a barn and a shed.

 

House 7: Greany

The head of the family was 60-year old married farmer Michael Greany. He lived with his wife Ann (60). No details are given as to how long they had been married or how many children they had. However, a son Patrick (33) is also listed on the census and described as a farmer’s son. All three were Roman Catholic, could read and write and came from County Galway. All spoke both Irish and English. The house is described as a 2nd class with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof wood or thatch. The family had 8 outbuildings which included a stable, cow-house, calf-house, dairy, piggery, fowl-house, barn and a shed.

 

House 8: Unoccupied.

 

[i] Given his age he was likely a tailor’s apprentice.

  

1901 Census

Overview of townland

There were 9 houses in total in this townland, of which all were built with 7 inhabited and house numbers 8 and 9 uninhabited. All are recorded as private dwellings. The houses all had stone or brick walls and all had a roof of thatch, wood or other perishable material. All of the dwellings were recorded as 2nd class with house number as 3rd class. There was a total of 8 families and 29 people living in the townland of which 17 were male and 12 were female. All were Roman Catholic and all were born in County Galway. There was a total of 21 out buildings listed for the townland which comprised of a 4 stables, 6 cow houses, 1 calf-house, 3 piggeries, 2 fowl houses, 3 barns and 2 sheds.

 

House 1: Nevin

The household was headed by John Nevin, a 32-year-old single farmer who lived with his unmarried farmer assistant brother Michael Nevin (30). Both occupants were Roman Catholic, had been born in County Galway, but only Michael could read and write. As such, the census form was signed by John Nevin using his mark which was witnessed by Constable Patrick Duffy. The dwelling is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The roof of the house was thatch or wood and the walls stone or brick. There were 3 outbuildings consisting of a stable, a cow-house and a fowl-house.

 

House 2: Bolton

Although listed as the wife of the head of the family, Mary Bolton, a 47-year old widowed farmer was, in fact, the head of the family. She shared the house with her sons Henry (24), Patrick (15), James (10) and Michael (8), both Henry and Patrick are described as farmer’s sons while the younger 2 were scholars. Also in the house were her daughters Margaret (20) Marian (17), both farmer’s daughters and Kathleen (12) a scholar. All the siblings were single. All the occupants were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and all could read and write. The languages spoken column of the census form shows that all spoke English and Mary could speak both Irish and English. The house was described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 4 windows. The walls were made from stone or brick and the roof of thatch or wood. There were 6 outbuildings consisting of a stable, 2 cow-houses, a calf-house, piggery and a barn.

 

House 3: Mullin

The head of the family was 60-year old widowed farmer, Catherine Mullin. She shared the house with her unmarried sons, Michael (28) and James (25) who are both described as farmer’s sons. The three are recorded as being able to read and write, Roman Catholic, and all came from County Galway. They are all recorded as speaking English. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling and had 2 rooms and 2 windows. The walls were of brick or stone and the roof was slated. There were 3 out buildings – stable, piggery and a barn.

 

House 4: Twohy

The head of the family is given as 31-year old married farmer, John Twohy. He lived with his wife Annie (30) and they had three sons, Michael (8), Patrick (6), Martin (3), described as scholars as well as daughter Julia K. aged 1. All the occupants were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and all could read and write with the exception of the three youngest children. John and Annie spoke both Irish and English. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof made of thatch or wood. The family had one outbuilding which consisted of a cow-house.

 

House 5: Greany

The head of the family was 70-year old widowed farmer Mary Greany. She shared the house with her married son Michael (49) and his family. Her daughter-in-law Ann (48) is listed as a house-keeper. Also in the house were her grandsons Patrick (25), farmer’s son, Michael (14) a scholar as well as grand-daughter Brigid aged 19 and described as a farmer’s daughter. All were Roman Catholic, could read and write (except Mary Greany who could not read) and came from County Galway. All spoke both Irish and English except the two youngest. And all the grandchildren were single. The house is described as a 2nd class with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof wood or thatch. The family had 6 outbuildings which included a stable, cow-house, piggery, fowl-house, barn and a shed.

 

House 6: Nevin

The head of the family is recorded as Edward Nevin, a 28-year-old unmarried agricultural labourer who shared the house with his brother Michael (30) also single and described as an unemployed shop assistant. Both brothers were Roman Catholic, came from County Galway and spoke both Irish and English. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were of stone or brick and the roof was thatched. There were 2 outbuildings consisting of a cow-house and a shed.

  

House 7: Barrett/Galvin

The head of the household was Mary Barrett, a 58-year-old widowed farmer, who shared the house with a 40-year-old lodger, Mary Gavin who is described as a wash-woman. Both women were Roman Catholic and both were from County Galway and could speak Irish and English. However, neither woman could read or write. The census was signed by Mary Barrett using her mark and was witnessed by Constable Duffy. The building is described as a 3rd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The walls were of stone or brick and the roof wood or thatch. There were no outbuildings.

 

 

Houses 8 and 9: Unoccupied.

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 21/11/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *