Garrafine (Trench) (Ffrench)

Gairfrian (Trench)

Roger Harrison

My location
Get Directions

Garrafine (Trench / Ffrench) / Garrafine (Trench)                    

Irish Grid M 70016 40154

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

This townland is the property of Trench, Esq. who holds it under a deed for ever. It is a flat country about 1/3 of it bog, the rest dry, arable of a middling quality. The houses are in bad repair. It is situated about 4 miles West of Ahascragh. Amount of County Cess is £3. 16s. 7½d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the N. East of the parish in the barony of Kilconnel is bounded in said barony by Garrafine Ussher, Scarreth and Garrafine in this parish, and by Pallas in the parish of Fohanagh, and in Tiaquin Barony by Ballantleva in the parish of Killosolan.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Garrafine (Trench).

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There was only the one house in the townland of Garrafine (Trench) and it was a private dwelling and occupied. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls with a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling. There Was a stable and a cow house. The enumerator for the area was J.P. Dalton.

 

House 1: Burke

The head of the only family in Garrafine (Trench) was Thomas (60) and he had been married to Mrgaret (sic) (47) for 24 years and in that time they had had 10 children and 9 of those had survived. They shared the house with 6 of those children, Walter (22), Ellen (20), John (16), Mrgaret (sic) (10), Sarah (7) and Michael (4). They were all born in Co. Galway, except Mrgaret (sic) (47), who was born in Co. Roscommon. and all were Roman Catholic. Thomas was listed as speaking Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others, Mrgaret (sic) (47), Walter, Ellen, John and Mrgaret (sic) (10) could read and write. Thomas was a herd, Walter and John were labourers and Mrgaret (sic) (10), Sarah and Michael were scholars. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was O’Hara French.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There was only 1 house in the townland in 1901 and it was occupied and was listed as being a private dwelling. The house was built of stone, brick or concrete and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. The house had 2 rooms and 1 window and was a 3rd class dwelling. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.

 

House 1: Burke

The head of the only house in the townland was Thomas (45) and he was married to Margaret (36) and they shared the house with Thomas’ sister, Kate (40) and 7 of their children, Thomas Walter (13), Ellen (11), Delia (11), Honoria (10), John (7), Mary Kate (4) and Margaret (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas, Margaret (36) and Kate spoke both Irish and English. Margaret (36), Kate and John could read only while Thomas Walter, Ellen, Delia and Honoria could read and write. Thomas was a shepherd and Thomas Walter, Ellen, Delia, Honoria and John were scholars. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and the landholder was Patrick Sammon.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

The Rev. John E. Trench was the immediate lessor in the townland and he had a herds house and offices on 229 acres and 11 perches of land for which there was an annual ratable value of £84 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings. The Rev. John E. Trench leased a house to Patrick Jones for 8s and a house to Anne Ward for 5s.

 

 

 

 

This page was added on 30/12/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *