Lisgub West (Lisskub West) / Lios Gioba Thiar Irish Grid M 68884 38378
Author: Roger Harrison
The townland of Lisgub West (Lisskub West) is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of Tiaquin and the County of Galway.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
This townland contains 113 acres and 29 perches. It is a flat dry country of very good quality. It belongs to Comyur, Esq., held by a deed for ever. It pays County Cess £. s. d. The same as Liskubward.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Is situated in the eastern side of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, bounded by Alloon Lower, Esker and Lisskubward in same barony and by Lisskub East in the barony of Kilconnel.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Lisgub West.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ballymacward.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: See below
1911: See below
Overview of the townland
According to the census of 1911, there were only 2 houses in the townland of Lisgub West and they were both occupied and listed as being private dwellings. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class house. The houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 2 had 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 6 out buildings, a stable, a cow house, a piggery, 2 fowl houses and a shed. They were a total of 9 people in the townland, 4 male and 5 female. The enumerator for the area was John P. Dalton.
House 1: Monaghan
The head of this household was the widow Mary (56) and she shared the house with her daughter Kate (31). They were both Roman Catholic and were born in Co. Galway. Mary spoke Irish and English and she could read only while Kate could read and write. Mary was listed as being a farmer. The house they shared was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a fowl house. The landholder was Mary Monaghan.
House 2: Mullin
Malachy (40) was the head of this family and he had been married to Sarah (40) for 10 years and in that time they had had 6 children and 5 of those had survived. They shared the house with those 5 children and they were Andrew (8), Mary (6), John (4), Anne (2) and Patrick Joseph (8mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Malachy spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others, which could indicate that they only spoke English. Malachy, Sarah, Andrew and Mary could read and write. Malachy was a farmer and Andrew, Mary and John were scholars. The house they all shared was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house and a shed. The landholder was Malachy Mullin.
Overview of the townland
The 1901 census shows that there were 3 houses in the Lisgub West and that they were all occupied and were listed as private dwellings. The houses were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class house and houses 2 and 3 were 2nd class. House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows and houses 2 and 3 had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B.2) shows there were 5 out buildings in the townland at that time and they consisted of a cow house, 2 piggeries, a workshop and a shed. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.
House 1: Connell
The head of the first house was Patrick (48), who was a widower and he shared the house with his son, John (19) and his sister Mary (50). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick and Mary spoke Irish and English. Mary could read only while Patrick and John could read and write. Patrick and John were listed as being carpenters. The house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a piggery and a workshop. The landholder was John W. Comyn (sic).
House 2: Mullin / Monaghan
The head of this family was the widow Bridget (70) and she shared the house with her daughter, Mary Monaghan (40) and her granddaughter, Kate Monaghan (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget and Mary spoke Irish and English and only Mary and Kate could read and write. Bridget was a farmer’s widow and Mary and Kate were farmer’s daughters. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a piggery and Bridget Mullin was the landholder.
House 3: Mullin
The head of the last house was Malachy (30) and he was married to Sarah (28) and they lived with Malachy’s sister, Annie (25). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered for any of the family under the language heading. They could all read and write. Malachy was a farmer and Annie was a farmer’s daughter. The house they all lived in was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a cow house and a shed. Malachy Mullin was the landholder.
William Bourke leased 41 acres and 38 perches of land from Andrew Cummins for £30 10s. Andrew Cummins leased 16 acres, 2 roods and 10 perches of land and 2 roods of a plantation from A.W. Blake for which he paid £9 5s for the land and 2s for the plantation. Hugh Bleheen (sic) leased 33 acres and 2 roods from Andrew Cummins for £19 annually, Thomas Moore leased 14 acres and 20 perches of land from Andrew Cummins for £7 5s and Patrick Mullin leased a house on 6 acres, 2 roods and 7 perches of land from Andrew Cummins for £3 5s for the land and 5s for the house.