Mountbernard

Mountbernard

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid M 64540 37652

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Bernard Browne who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains 1109a. 1r. 30p. all of which is under Demesne. It contains about 8 acres of wood. Houses are in very good repair. Amount of Co. Cess £6. 9s. 10s.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the western side of the parish in the barony of Tiaquin bounded by Killooaun Browne, Ballygreany and Killooaun Eyre in said barony and by Hampstead and Gorrymore in the barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Mountbernard.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there were 3 houses in the townland at that time. All were occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. House 2 was a 1st class dwelling and houses 1 and 3 were 2nd class. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 2 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 3 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and had 2 windows in the front, house 2 had 10 rooms and 5 windows in the front and house 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were 27 out buildings in the townland and they consisted of 4 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, 10 cow houses, a dairy, a piggery, 4 fowl houses, a barn, 2 turf houses and a shed. There were a total of 13 people, 5 males and 8 females. 8 were Roman Catholic, 4 were Church of Ireland and 1 was a Presbyterian. The enumerator was Const. Peter Young.

 

House 1: Narey (sic)

The head of this family was Martin (44) and had been married to Anne (55) for 21 years and in that time they had had 2 children. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both could speak both Irish and English and Anne could read and write. Martin was a farm servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a fowl house. The landholder was the Rev. Mr. Foster.

 

House 2: Foster / Brown / Egan / Moran

The head of the family in house 2 was William (47) and he was married to Mary Edith (45) and they lived with their son, Robert Henry B. (5) and their daughter, Dorothy Elenor (sic) (9). Also in the house were 4 servants, Annie Aelfride (sic) Brown (21), Martin Egan (32), Mary Egan (40), who had been married for 4 years, and Annie Moran (20). William, Mary Edith, Robert Henry B. and Dorothy Elenor (sic) were Church of Ireland and William was born in Co. Tipperary, Mary Edith was born in Co. Waterford and Robert Henry B. and Dorothy Elenor (sic) were born in Co. Galway. Annie Aelfride (sic) was a Presbyterian and born in Co. Cork and Martin, Mary and Annie were Roman Catholic and Martin and Mary were born in Queens County[i] and Annie was born in Co. Westmeath. They could all read and write. William was a clerk in holy orders, Robert Henry B. Dorothy Elenor (sic) were scholars, Annie Aelfride (sic) was a governess, Martin was a groom, Mary was a cook and Annie was a housemaid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 10 rooms and they also had 4 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, 9 cow houses, a dairy, 2 fowl houses, a barn, 2 turf houses and a shed. The landholder was the Rev. Mr. Foster.

 

House 3: Dempsey

John (40) was listed as the head of this family and he lived with his sisters, Kate (26) and Mary (42). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All could read and write. John was a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. John Dempsey was the landholder.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 3 houses in the townland of Mountbernard and they were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 2 and 3 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 1 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling, house 2 was a 2nd class dwelling and house 3 was a 1st class. Houses 1 and 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 3 had 13 or more rooms and 5 windows in the front. There were a total of 39 out houses consisting of 5 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, 2 cow houses, 4 calf houses, a dairy, 2 piggeries, 5 fowl houses, a barn, 5 turf houses, a potato house, 7 sheds, a store, a forge and a laundry. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 9 people in the townland, 5 males and 4 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Patrick Duffy.

 

House 1: Dempsey

The widower Andrew (67) was listed as the head of this family and he shared the house with 3 of his children, John (29), Mary (27) and Kate (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Andrew spoke both Irish and English but only the children could read and write. Andrew was an agricultural labourer, John was a shepherd, Mary was a housekeeper and Kate was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was listed as being the Rev. Dr Healy.

 

House 2: Costello

The sole occupant on this house was the widower Patrick (80) and he was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke Irish and English but could not read. He was listed as a gatekeeper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was listed as being the Rev. Dr Healy.

 

House 3: Healy / O’Dea / Kennedy / Clarke

The head of this household was John (59) and he lived in the house with 3 servants, Thomas O’Dea (20), Mary Kennedy (55) and Margaret Clarke (34). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic except John, who was born in Co. Sligo. They could all read and write. John was a Roman Catholic Bishop, Thomas was a coachman domestic sert (sic), Mary was a cook domestic servant and Margaret was a housemaid domestic servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and they had 4 stables, 2 coach houses, a harness room, a cow house, 4 calf houses, a dairy, a piggery, 4 fowl houses, a barn, 5 turf houses, a potato house, 7 sheds, a forge and a laundry. The landholder was Rev. Dr Healy.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

James L. Foster leased a house and offices on 109 acres, 1 rood and 30 perches of land from Andrew Browne for £75 for the land and £35 for the buildings.

 

[i] Co. Laois

This page was added on 02/04/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *