Creggaun / An Creagán Irish Grid M68798 41369
Author: Mike Kelly/Galway Rural Development
The townland of Creggaun is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of
Kilconnell and the County of Galway.
Valuation the total acreage of the townland is 318 acres 0roods and 7 perches.
This townland is the property of John H. Blakeny, Esq., who holds it under a deed for ever. It is flat and better there three fourths bog. Houses built of mud and in bad repair. It contains 320 acres and 2 perches. Amount of Co. Cess is £3. 5. 1.
Lies in the N. East of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, bounded by Esker, Lisheen and Ashfield in said barony and by Garrafinn in the Barony of Kilconnel in this parish, by Castleblakeny, Gortavally and Rathbaun townlands in the parish of Killosolan in Tiaquin barony.
Townlands that share a border with Creggaun
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ballymacward.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: Full Census records are available See below.
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of townland
There were 3 houses in total in this townland, all of which were built and are recorded as private dwellings. All houses had stone or brick walls, and roofs of thatch, wood or other perishable material. The dwellings were recorded as 2nd, 3rd and 4th class respectively. There was a total of 14 people living in the townland of which 8 were male and 6 were female. All were Roman Catholics. The heads of the households were also the landholders. There was a total of 5 out buildings listed for the townland which comprised 2 cow houses, a piggery, a calf-house and a fowl-house.
House 1: Minton
The head of the household was John Minton a 40-year-old widowed postman and farmer. In the house there were his sons, Michael (12), John (5) and Patrick (3) as well daughters, Delia (15), Ellie (13) and 9-year-old Sibina (sic). The children are recorded as scholars with the exception of the two youngest. They were all Roman Catholic and could read and write with the exception of the two youngest and all could read and write again except the two youngest. John Minton was from England but all his children were born in County Galway. John is recorded as speaking both English and Irish but there are no languages details entered for the children. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof was thatched. The only outbuilding was a cow-house.
House 2: Lally
The head of the household is recorded as Bernard Lally, a 52-year-old married farmer who lived with his wife, Mary aged 43 and their family. They had been married for 6 years and had 2 children both still living. The family consisted of son John Joseph (10) Julia (4) as well as Bernard’s unmarried brother, Owen Lally, a labourer. Only Mary and Owen Lally could read and write and all three of the adults spoke both Irish and English. All were Roman Catholic and came from County Galway. The house is described as a 3rd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The walls were made of stone or brick and the roof was thatched. There were 4 outbuildings consisting of a cow-house, calf-house, a fowl-house and a piggery.
House 3: Griffin
The head of the family was 70-year-old widow Catherine Griffin who lived with her 17-year-old unmarried son, Michael Griffin, described as an agricultural labourer. Both were Roman Catholic and came from County Galway. Catherine is recorded as not being able to read while Michael could both read and write. No language proficiency is recorded for either. The house is described as a 4th class private dwelling with 1 rooms and 1 window. The walls were stone or brick and the roof thatched and there were no outbuildings.
Overview of townland
There were 2 houses in total in this townland, both of which were built and are recorded as private dwellings and both were described as 3rd class. Both houses had stone or brick walls, 2 roofs of thatch, wood or other perishable material. There was a total of 9 people living in the townland of which 3 were male and 6 were female. All were Roman Catholics.
House 1: Minton
The head of the household was John Minton a 37-year-old married farmer who lived with his wife, Bridget (30) and their family consisting of daughters Delia (5) and Ellen (2) as well as 8-month old son, Michael. The eldest child is recorded as a scholar Mary. They were all Roman Catholic, and write and came from County Galway except John Minton who originated in England. Wife Bridget is recorded as being able to read and write and John and eldest child as being able to read only. Both adults spoke Irish and English. The census Constable John Kelly. The house is described as a 3rd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. John Minton was also the landowner
House 2: Kennedy/Lane/Shaughnessy
The head of the household is recorded as Mary, an 85-year-old widow and unemployed nurse. Two lodgers are recorded as living in the house with her, Mary Shaughnessy (67), a widow whose occupation as given as an agricultural labourer and unmarried 25-year-old James Shaughnessy also a labourer. Neither woman could read and James is listed as being able to read and write. The was also a visitor on the night, 12-year-old Margaret Lane described as a scholar. All were Roman Catholic and came from County Galway and all three adults both Irish and English. The census form was signed by Mary Kennedy using her mark which was witnessed by Constable Kelly. The house is described as a 3rd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 2 windows. The walls were made of stone or brick and the roof was thatched. The landowner is listed as Ellen Concannon