Moyarwood

Maigh Armhad

Roger Harrison

My location
Get Directions

Irish Grid: M 65683 33053

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

The townland of Moyarwood is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of

Kilconnell and the County of Galway.

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Lord Ashtown held by deed for ever. It contains 728a. 3r. 2p. The greater part of which is under bog. Houses and roads are in middling repair. Pays for Co. Cess. £11.14s. 6p.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the South of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel, bounded by Cave, Ballanlough and Green Hills in same barony and by Curskeagh Daly in this barony of Tiaquin in this parish, by Doughloon townland in the parish of Killimer, Tiaquin Barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Moyarwood.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland.

There were a total of 5 houses in the townland of Moyarwood and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and the others all had slate, iron or tiled roofs. All the houses were listed as being 2nd class dwellings. House 2 had 5 or 6 rooms and all the other houses had between 2 and 4 rooms. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were 18 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, 4 cow houses, a calf house, 4 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 3 barns, a turf house and a shed. There were a total of 23 people in the townland at the time of this census, consisting of 13 male and 10 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. P. Kyne.

 

House 1: Burns

The head of the first house in Moyarwood was Richard (45) and he had been married to Bridget (31) for 10 years and in that time they had had 5 children but only 4 had survived. They shared the house with those 4 children and they were Patrick (8), John (6), Katie (4) and Mary (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Richard was listed as speaking Irish and English. Richard, Bridget and Patrick could read and write. Richard was an agricultural labourer and Patrick was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and they had between 2 and 4 rooms. They also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. Richard Burns was the landholder.

 

House 2: Kilroe / Clarke / Burnett

The widow Susan (72) was listed as the head of this family, who had been married for 46 years and had had 6 children but only 4 had survived. She shared the house with her daughter, Jean Margaret Clarke (42) and a companion, Elizabeth Alice Burnett (21). Susan’s religion was listed as, known as Plymouth Brethren, Jean Margaret’s was Plymouth Brethren and Elizabeth Alice was Church of Ireland. Susan was born in Co. Galway, Jean Margaret was born in Co. Roscommon and Elizabeth Alice was born in Co. Longford. They could all read and write. None of them had any occupation listed. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had 5 or 6 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a barn, a turf house and a shed. The landholder was Susan Kilroe.

 

House 3: Kelly

The head of the household in house 3 was Patrick (40) and he had been married to Margaret (40) for 18 years and they had had 4 children and all had survived. The lived with their 4 sons, Michael (17), Peter (14), Thomas (11) and Martin (11). They were all born in Co. Galway, except for Patrick who was born in Co. Roscommon and all were Roman Catholic. The was no entry under the language heading, which could indicate that they only spoke English and all could read and write. Patrick was a ploughman (domestic), Michael and Peter were agricultural labourers and Thomas and Martin were scholars. The house they all shared was a 2nd class house with between 2 and 4 rooms. They also had a cow house and a piggery. Patrick Kelly was the landholder.

 

House 4: Dwyer

The head of this family was Michael (54) and he had been married to Margaret (37) for 7 years and in the time they had had 5 children and 4 of those had survived. They shared the house with those 4 children, Michael (6), Mary (5), Katie (3) and Patrick (10mths) and also in the house at that time was Michael’s brother, Garrett (35). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There were no entries for language, which could mean that they all only spoke English. Only Margaret and Garrett could read and write. Michael (54) was a farmer and Garrett was an agricultural labourer. The house they all shared was a 2nd class house with between 2 and 4 rooms. They had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. Michael Dwyer was the landholder.

 

House 5: Reilly

The sole occupant of the last house in the townland was James P. (35) who had been married 11 years and in that time he had had 6 children but only 2 of those had survived. There was no wife listed here. He was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Dublin and he could read and write. He was a rabbit trapper and gamekeeper. The house was a 2nd class house with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Lord Ashtown of Woodlawn.

 

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 5 houses in Moyarwood in 1901 but only 4 were occupied, with house 5 being unoccupied but the landholder was Lord Ashtown. The occupied houses were all private dwellings and were 2nd class houses. The houses were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 4 having thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and the other 3 houses having slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 had between 7 and 9 rooms and 5 windows in the front, house 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows and houses 2 and 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows. There were 19 people in the townland at the time of this census, 11 male and 8 female. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant George A. Wilson.

 

House 1: Kilroe / Clarke / Connier (sic)

The head of the first house in the townland was Susan (62), a widow, and she shared the house with her daughter, Janie Clarke (32), her son, Robert J. Clarke (30) and 2 servants, Patrick Connier (sic) (22) and Mary Clarke (18). All were born in Co. Galway and Susan and Janie’s religion was listed as being Plymouth Brethren, Robert J. was Episcopalian Church of Ireland and Patrick and Mary were Roman Catholic. Only Susan, Janie and Robert J. could read and write. Susan and Janie were housekeepers, Robert J. was a farmer, Patrick was a farm servant and Mary was a domestic servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 7 and 9 rooms and the landholder was Robert J. Clarke.

 

House 2: Duane / Kelly / Dooley

The widow Anne (70) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son-in-law, Patrick Kelly (31), her daughter, Margaret Kelly (29), her 4 grandsons, all Kelly’s, Michael (6), Peter (4), Martin (2), Thomas (2) and a boarder, Patrick Dooley (60). They were all born in Co. Galway, except Patrick Kelly, who was born in Co. Roscommon and all were Roman Catholic. Anne and Patrick Dooley spoke Irish and English, but only Patrick Kelly, Margaret and Patrick Dooley could read and write. Anne and Patrick (31) were listed as being farmers, Margaret was a housekeeper and Patrick Dooley was a farm labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. Patrick Kelly was the landholder.

 

House 3: Dwyer

The head of this household was Michael (30) and he shared the house with 2 of his sisters, Mary (35) and Norah (27) and his brother, Garret (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There were no entries for language, which could indicate that they all spoke only English. Only Mary, Norah and Garret could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Mary was a housekeeper, Norah was a dressmaker and Garret was listed as being in farming. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Michael Dwyer.

 

House 4: Burns

The head of the last family in Moyarwood was the widow Catherine (70) and she shared the house with her son Richard (34). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Catherine spoke Irish and English but only Richard could read and write. Catherine was a farmer and housekeeper and Richard was in farming. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Catherine Burns.

 

House 5: Unoccupied

 

Griffiths Valuation

Dominic Lopdell leased a house and office on 67 acres, 2 roods and 19 perches of land from John Trench for £31 for the land and £4 for the buildings. John Trench leased 3 plots of bog land from Lord Ashtown, the first for 335 acres, 3 roods and 7 perches for £3 5s, the second of 39 acres and 4 perches for 10s, and the third of 10 acres, 1 rood and 33 perches for 10s. Samuel Barrett leased a herd’s house on 207 acres and 21 perches of land for £110 for the land and 10s for the house.

 

All the following leased tenements from Samuel Barrett. Rose Craddock leased a house for 5s, John Morgan leased a house and garden of 35 perches for 3s for the garden and 5s for the house, Michael Duane leased a house on 17 acres, 2 roods and 32 perches of land for £1 15s for the land and 5s for the house and Francis Feeney leased a house on 3 acres and 28 perches of land for 15s for the land and 5s for the house. William Nutley 6 tenements, a house on 1 acre, 2 roods and 29 perches of land for 10s for the land and 5s for the house, 3 acres of land for 15s, 3 roods and 5 perches of land for 5s, 1 rood and 33 perches of land for 3s, 35 perches of land for 1s and 25 perches of land for 1s.

 

John Byrne leased 4 tenements, a house on 1 acre, 3 roods and 24 perches of land for 15s for the land and 5s for the house, 3 roods and 15 perches of land for 5s, 2 roods for 5s and 3 roods and 13 perches of land for 5s.

 

Patrick Byrne leased 4 tenements. 3 roods and 25 perches of land for 5s, 25 perches of land for 1s, 22 perches of land for 1s and a house for 5s. John Kearney leased 2 tenements, 1 acre and 15 perches of land for 5s and a house on 6 acres and 33 perches of land for £1 10s for the land and 5s for the house.

 

William Nutley, John and Patrick Byrne jointly leased 2 tenements, 1 acre, 1 rood and 18 perches of land for 8s and 4 acres and 25 perches of land for £1. William Nutley and Patrick Byrne jointly leased 3 acres and 38 perches of land for which they each paid 10s. Thomas Flaherty leased 3 tenements, a house on 7 acres, 1 rood and 16 perches of land for £1 8s for the land and 5s for the house, 1 rood and 3 perches of land for 1s and 1 rood and 6 perches of land for 1s. Henry Beausire, Sec. M.G.W. Railway Co. leased 12 acres and 18 perches of land (127 lin. Perches) for £15 15s.

 

 

This page was added on 24/02/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *