Hundredacres

An Chealtrach Ard

Roger Harrison

Hundredacres / An Chealtrach Ard                                   Irish Grid: M 67384 42274

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

The townland of Hundredacres is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of

Tiaquin and the County of Galway.

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

This townland is the property of J. H. Blakeny, Esq. who holds it under a deed for ever nearly half of this townland is bog, the rest is under sheep walks and is of a good quality, roads in good repair, houses bad. Amount of Co. Cess is £5. 4s. 3d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the North of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin bounded by Ashfield and Baunogues townlands in this parish and by Lehanagh, Gollagh and Castleblakeny in the parish of Killosolan, all in said barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Hundredacres.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the Townland

The 1911 census shows that there was only 1 house in Hundredacres and that it was occupied and was listed as a private dwelling. The house was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 2nd class house and had 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were 6 outbuildings consisting of a stable, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a barn and a shed. There were 2 males and 3 females living in the townland at that time. The enumerator for the area was John Gallagher.

 

House 1: Donohue

The head of this family was Edward (56) and he had been married to Ellen (36) for 18 years and they had had 4 children but only 2 had survived. They shared the house with those children and they were Ellie (13) and Thomas (7) and also in the house at that time was Edward’s brother John (72) who had been married for 24 years but there was entry for his wife. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Edward, Ellie and John spoke Irish and English and all the family could read and write. Edward was a herd and Ellie, Thomas and John were listed as scholars, but John was possibly a mistake. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was R. Blakeney.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the Townland

There was only the one house in Hundredacres in 1901 and it was occupied and was a private dwelling. It was built of stone, brick of concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. I was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were 5 out buildings, a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.

 

House 1: Donohoe / Devane

The head of the family was Edward (38) who was married to Ellen (27) and they shared the house with their 2 daughters Bridget (7) and Ellen (4) and a servant, John Devane (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Edward was listed as being able to speak Irish and English and there was nothing entered for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. Edward, Ellen (27) and Bridget could read and write. Edward was a shepherd, Bridget and Ellen (4) were scholars and John was an agricultural labourer. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Mick (?) Burke.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

The Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that Walter P. Lambert leased a herd’s house and offices on 105 acres and 38 perches of land from John H. Blakeney for £115 for the land and £1 for the buildings. Thomas Fallon leased a house and office on 7acres and 2 roods of land from John H. Blakeney for £5 for the land and 10s for the buildings. There was a vacant house belonging to Thomas Fallon with an annual ratable valuation of 6s and Roderick Brien leased a house from Thomas Fallon for 7s.

 

 

 

This page was added on 25/01/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *