Moyure

Maigh Iúir

Roger Harrison

Moyure / Maigh Iúir                        Irish Grid: M 66152 41249

 

Author: Roger Harrison

 

The townland of Moyure is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of

Tiaquin and the County of Galway.

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

This townland is the property of Lord Clancarty who holds it under a deed for ever. It is a flat country all arable land of a good quality. The houses and roads are in good repair. It is situated about 1mile S. West of Castle Blakeny. Included with Baunogues?. Amount of County Cess £2. 3s. 5d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Lies in the N. West of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin, bounded by Baunogues and Ashfield townlands in this parish and by Aughanaghel in the parish of Killosolan in same barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Moyure.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there was only 1 house in the townland and that it was occupied and was a private dwelling. It was built od stone, brick or concrete walls with slate, iron or tiles for roofing. It had between 10 and 12 rooms and had 8 windows in the front.

 

House 1: Lyons / Rushe / Burke/ Naughton

The head of the only house in Moyure was the widow Mary (60) and she shared the house with her granddaughter, Mary (6) and three unspecified people, Julia Rushe (sic) (18), Patrick Burke (17) and Bridget Naughton (19). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. The 2 Marys spoke Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which could indicate that they only spoke English. They could all read and write. Mary (60) was a publican and shopkeeper, Mary (6) was a scholar, Julia and Patrick were shop assistants and Bridget was a domestic servant. They all lived in a house with 10-12 rooms and a stable, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house and a shed. The householder was Mary Lyons.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There was only one house in Moyure at that time and it was a private dwelling and was occupied. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiles for roofing and was classed as a 1st class dwelling. It had at least 13 rooms and 14 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was Constable John Kelly.

 

House 1: Lyons / Shaughnessy / Killun / Brodrick

Patrick (55) was the head of this family and he was married to Mary (45) and they shared the house with 3 servants Michael Shaughnessy (17), Michael Killun (sic) (16) and Roseanna Brodrick (18). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick and Mary spoke Irish and English and the others all spoke only English. They could all read and write. Patrick was a grocer shopkeeper, Michael Shaughnessy was a shop apprentice grocer, Michael Killun (sic) was a farm servant and Roseanna was a general servant domestic. The house had at least 13 rooms and was a 1st class dwelling. They also had 2 stables, a coach house, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a barn, a turf house, a potato hopuse, a shed and a store. Patrick Lyons was the landholder.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

Laurence Baker leased 17 acres, 2 roods and 22 perches of land from John H. Blakeney for £12 annually and Thomas Wade leased a house and offices on 26 acres, 1 rood and 9 perches of land from John H. Blakeney for £21 for the land and £3 10s for the buildings.

 

 

This page was added on 11/02/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *