Lisloughlin

Lios Maoileachlainn

Roger Harrison

My location
Get Directions

Irish Grid M 66513 39256

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

This townland is the property of Bernard Browne, Esq. who holds it under a deed for ever. It is flat and dry of middling good quality. The houses and roads are in good repair. It is situated about ½ miles S. West of Ahascragh. Amount of County Cess £5. 9s. 2d.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated mostly in the north side of the parish in the barony of Tiaquin bounded by Killamude East, Moneen, Killaghaan, Esker and Alloon Upper in same barony and by Hampstead in the barony of Kilconnel.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Lisloughlin.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

The 1911 census shows that there were 5 houses in Lisloughlin and they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings They were all constructed of stone, brick and concrete walls and houses 1 and 4 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing and the others all had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. All the houses were 2nd class dwellings and house 4 had had between 2 and 4 rooms and 4 windows in the front and the others all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 23 out buildings in the townland consisting of 7 stables, 5 cow houses, a calf house, 4 piggeries, a fowl house and a barn. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 38 people in townland, 18 males and 20 females. The enumerator for the area was John Gallagher.

 

House 1: Fahy

Thomas (40) was the head of this family and he was married to Mary (33) and had been for 14 years and they had had 8 children, all of which had survived. They lived with those 8 children and they were Michael J. (13), Andrew (12), Mary A. (10), Margaret (8), Bridget (6), Joseph (5), Kathleen (3) and Elizabeth (1). They were all born in Co. Galway E R and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered under the language heading, which could indicate that they all only spoke English. Thomas, Joseph, Kathleen and Elizabeth could not read and all the others could read and write. Thomas was a farmer and Michael J. Andrew, Mary A., Margaret and Bridget were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house and a barn. The landholder was Thomas Fahy.

 

House 2 : Keating

The head of this household was Patrick (70) and he had been married to Julia (60) for 40 years and they had had 10 children but only 5 of those had survived. They shared the house with 4 of those children and they were, Annie (26), Michael (25), Walter (18) and John (24). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. Patrick was a farmer and John was a DMP[i]. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had between 2 and 4 rooms and they had

A stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Patrick Keating.

 

House 3: Fahey

Peter (50) was the head of this family and he was married to Delia (40) and had been for 15 years and they had 6 children. They shred the house with those 6 children and they were Mary Francis (14), Annie Agnes (12), Tessie (9), Tomas (sic) Joseph (7), John Patrick (6) and Bridget (4). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Peter could speak Irish and English and there was nothing entered for the others, which could indicate that they only spoke English. All could read and write. Peter was a farmer and all the children were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Peter Fahey.

 

House 4: Murray

The head of this family was Nicholas (56) and he had been married to Kate (53) for 20 years and they had 7 children. They lived in the house with 6 of those children and they were Christina, (16), Kathleen (15), Patrick (14), Hugh (11), Maggie (8) and John (6). Nicholas was born in Co. Dublin and all the others were born in Co. Galway and all were Roman Catholic. Only Kate was able to speak Irish and English but all the family could read and write. Nicholas was a farmer and all the children were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had 3 stables, a cow house and a barn. Nicholas Murray was the landholder.

 

House 5: McDonagh / Kelly

The head of the last house in Lisloughlin was Martin (42) and he had been married to Bridget (38) for 6 years and they had ahd 3 children and all of those had survived. Those 3 children also lived in the house and they were Walter Patrick (5), Patrick Michael (4) and Mary Cristina (sic) (2) and also Martins sister-in-law, Maria Kelly (25). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from the children, all of the family could speak both Irish and English and read and write. Martin was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 2ndc lass dwelling and they had between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. Martin McDonagh was the landholder.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 10 houses in the townland of Lisloughlin but only 8 were occupied with houses 9 and 10 being listed as the Esker National School Ord. All the occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1, 2, 6 and 8 slate, iron or tiled roofs and houses 3, 4, 5 and 7 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 5 was a 3rd class dwelling and all the others were 2nd class. House 5 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 2, 3, 4 and 7 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows, houses 8 had 5 or 6 rooms and 5 windows and house 6 had 13 or more rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 31 out buildings in the townland consisting of 8 stables, a coach house, 7 cow houses, a dairy, 5 piggeries, 4 barns and 5 sheds. There were a total of 37 people in the townland, 21 males and 16 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. John Kelly.

 

House 1: O’Dea / Moran

The head of the first family in the townland was Michael (46) and he was married to Honoria (35) and they shared the house with a nephew-in-law, Timothy Moran (8). Michael and Honoria were born in Co. Galway and Timothy was born in America and all were Roman Catholic. Michael and Honoria spoke Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael was listed as being a farmer and Timothy was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and they had between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Michael O’Dea.

 

House 2: Dempsey

The widower, John (52) was the head of this family and he shared the house with 3 of his children, William (21), Martin (17) and Patrick (15). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John spoke Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the sons, which could indicate that they only spoke English. Only the sons could read and write. John was a shepherd, William and Martin wee farm labourers and Patrick was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and they had between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was listed as Patrick Doyle.

 

House 3: Fahy / Dugan

The head of this family was the widower Thomas (83) and he lived with his son, Peter (40), his daughter-in-law, Delia (34), 3 of his grandchildren, Mary F. (4), Annie A. (2) and Teresa (3mths), and also a servant, John Dugan (70). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas, Peter and John spoke Irish and English and Delia, Mary F. and Annie A. spoke only English. Peter, Delia and John could read and write. Thomas was a farmer, Peter was a farmer’s son and John was a farm servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had 2 stables, a coach house, 2 cow houses, a dairy, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Thomas Fahy Sen.

 

House 4: Keating

Patt (55) was the head of this family and he was married to Julia (48) and they shared the house with 4 of their children and they were Annie (18), John (15), Michael (12) and Walter Joseph (7). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patt and Julia spoke Irish and English. Julia could read only and the others could all read and write. Patt was a farmer, Annie was a farmer’s daughter, John was a farmer’s son and Michael and Walter Joseph were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Patrick Keating.

 

House 5: Fahy

Thomas (28) was the head of the family in house 5 and he was married to Mary (24) and the lived in the house with 3 of their children, Michael J. (3), Andrew (2) and Mary A. (8mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered under the language heading, which could indicate that they only spoke English. Only Mary could read and write. Thomas was a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a barn. The landholder was Thomas Fahy.

 

House 6: Murray

Nicholas (45) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Kate (41) and they had 5 children and they were, Mary (7), Christina (6), Kathleen (5), Patrick (4) and Hugh (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Kate could speak Irish and English. Patrick and Hugh could not read, Kathleen could read only and the others could all read and write. Nicholas was a farmer and all the children, except Hugh, were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 13 or more rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery, a barn and a shed. The landholder was Nicholas Murray.

 

House 7: McDonagh

The widow Mary (73) was listed as the head of this family and she lived with her son, Martin (31). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They both spoke Irish and English and could read and write. They were both listed as being farmers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a barn. Mary McDonagh was the landholder.

 

House 8: Manning / McLoughlin

The head of the last family in Lisloughlin was Hubert (40) who was married to Mary (37) and they shared the house with a servant Bridget McLoughlin (62). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Hubert and Bridget spoke Irish and English and they could read and write and Bridget could read only. Hubert and Mary were national school teachers and Bridget was a general servant domestic. The house was a 2nd class house with 5 or 6 rooms and the landholder was listed as Hugh Bleheim.

 

Griffith’s Valuation

The only immediate lessor in Lisloughlin was Andrew Browne and he leased 15 tenements in the townland. James Browne leased 30 acres, 2 roods and 6 perches of land for £16, Andrew Joyce leased 103 acres, 2 roods and 11 perches of land for £75, Patrick Noone leased a house and offices on 4 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land for £3 10s for the land and 15s for the buildings and Margaret McDonough leased a house for 10s. Patrick Curley leased 50 acres and 29 perches of land for £38, Thomas Donohue leased 121 acres and 15 perches of land for £84, James Joyce leased 74 acres, 3 roods and 28 perches of land for £45 and a national school house that was leased for £4. Walter McDonough leased 13 acres and 2 roods of land for £7 5s, John Fahy Jun. leased a house and offices on 28 acres and 2 perches of land for £15 for the land and £2 15s for the buildings, Peter Fahy leased 72 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land for £40 annually and he also leased 2 other plots, the first was a house and office on 23 acres and 15 perches of land for £11 for the land and £1 for the buildings and the second was an office on 24 acres and 18 perches of land for £13 for the land and 5s for the office. John Fahy leased a house and offices on 2 acres, 1 rood and 25 perches of land for £1 5s for the land and 15s for the buildings, Walter Keating leased 2 tenements, the first was a house and offices on 5 acres, 2 roods and 28 perches of land for £3 for the land and 10s for the buildings and the second was 3 acres and 1 rood of land for £1 10s and Jno (sic) and Patrick Loughnane leased 11 acres, 1 rood and 6 perches of land for £6 10s. There was an exemption of £4 for the national school house.

 

 

[i] Possibly Dublin Metropolitan Police

This page was added on 30/03/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *