Irish Grid: M 66490 32670
Author: Roger Harrison
The townland of Greenhills is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of
Kilconnell and the County of Galway.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
It is the property of John Trench, Esq. held by deed for ever. It is flat and dry of middling good quality. The houses are in good repair. The Co. Cess is £8. 11 half yearly. It contains 392a. 0r. 31p.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Lies in the South of this parish in the barony of Kilconnel is bounded by Moyarwood, Ballanlough, Carrana Upper and Tullawicky townlands in this parish and by Woodlawn, Coppanagh and Skehanna in the parish of Killaan in said barony. It is about 8 miles S. West of Ahascragh.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Greenhills.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ballymacward.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: Full Census records are available See below.
1911: Full Census records are available See below.
Overview of the townland.
There were only 2 houses in the townland of Greenhills in 1911 and they were both occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They both were built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class. House 1 had between 10 and 12 rooms and 10 windows in the front of the house and house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There a total of 16 out buildings consisting of 4 stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, 2 fowl houses, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house and a shed. There was a total of 8 people, 5 male and 3 female. The enumerator for the area was Const. P. Kyne.
The head of this family was the widower Michael (68) and he shared the house with his son, Michael (27) and daughter, Nora (25). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael (68) could speak Irish and English and Michael (27) and Nora spoke only English. All the family could read and write. Michael (68) was a shepherd and Michael (27) was an agricultural labourer. The house was a 1st class dwelling with between 10 and 12 rooms and they had 4 stables, a coach house, a harness room, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a potato house, a turf house and shed. The landholder was Lord Ashtown of Woodlawn.
Michael (55) was the head of this family and he had been married to Honor (50) for 40 years[i] and they had had 6 children but only 3 of those had survived. They shared the house with those children and they were Michael (25), William (14) and Mary (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. There was nothing entered under the language heading which could indicate that they only spoke English but they all could read and write. Michael (55), Michael (27) and William were agricultural labourers and Mary was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Lord Ashtown of Woodlawn.
Overview of the townland
There were a total of 3 houses in the townland in 1901 but only 2 were occupied, houses 1 and 2, and they were listed as being private dwellings. Lord Ashtown of Woodlawn was the landholder of the unoccupied house 3. Both the occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had slate, iron or tiled roofs. House 1 was a 1st class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class dwelling. House 1 had at least 13 rooms and 13 windows in the front and house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows. There were a total of 9 people in townland, 5 male and 4 female. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant George A. Wilson.
The head of this family was Michael (45) and he was married to Honor (40) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, John (14), Margaret (6), William (4) and Mary (2) and also Michael’s step father, Michael Quinn (82). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael Quinn could speak both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others which could mean that they only spoke English. Michael, Honor, John and Margaret could read and write. Michael (45) and Michael Quinn were herd’s, Honor was a housekeeper and John and Margaret were scholars. The landholder was Lord Ashtown of Woodlawn.
The head of the second household was John (70), a widower, and he shared the house with his daughter, Margaret (22) and son, John (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only John (70) spoke Irish and English and only Margaret and John (28) could read and write. John (70) was a farmer, Margaret was a housekeeper and John (28) was a farm labourer. The landholder was John Mintane.
House 3: Unoccupied
Michael Flannery leased a house on 2 acres of land from Samuel Barrett for £1 5s for the land and 10s for the house, John Ward leased house and forge on 28 perches of a garden, again, from Samuel Barrett for 2s for the garden and 8s for the buildings and Samuel Barrett leased 2 plots from John H. Blakeney, the first, of a house and offices on 270 acres and 8 perches of land for £128 10s for the land and £24 for the buildings and the second was 107 acres, 2 roods and 15 perches of land for £18 15s. Henry Beausire (sic) Sec. M.G.W. Railway Co. leased railway (186 lin. Per.)[ii] of 6 acres and 11 perches but there was no fee entered. Lord Ashtown owned 6 acres and 3 roods of land with an annual ratable valuation £2 10s.
[i] Possibly a mistake as they would have only been 15 and 10 years old when they got married.
[ii] Possibly Linear Perches