Caranna Lower or Carrownea Lower

Ceathrú an Fhéa Íochtarach

Mike Kelly/Galway Rural Development

Caranna Lower or Carrownea Lower[1] / Ceathrú an Fhéa Íochtarach

Irish Grid : 67741 35504

  

Author: Mike Kelly/Galway Rural Development

 

The townland of Caranna or Carrownea Lower is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of Kilconnell and the County of Galway.

 

Description:

 

This townland is held by Lord Clancarty by deed for ever. It is a flat, dry country the land of middling quality. The houses in middling repair. It contains a.r.p. The County Cess is included with Carrana Upper.

 

Situation:

 

Is situated in the southern part of this parish in the barony of Kilconnell, bounded by White Park, Tullawicky, Carrana Proper and Carrana Upper in same barony and by Ballymacward in the barony of Tiaquin. It lies about 5 miles south. West of Ahascragh.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Caranna (Carrownea) Lower.

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901:   Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of townland

There were only 2 houses in total in this townland, both of which were built and are recorded as private dwellings. Both houses had stone or brick walls, and each had roofs of thatch, wood or other perishable material. Both dwellings were recorded as 2nd class. There was a total of 8 people living in the townland of which 4 were male and 4 were female. All were Roman Catholics. There were 7 outbuildings in total consisting of 2 stables, 2 cow-houses, 2 barns and a dairy. The heads of the households were also the landholders.

  

House 1: Hillary

The head of the household was 55-year-old widow Anne Hillary. She had been married for 11 years and had 7 children all still living. In the house there were sons, Thomas (29) and Joseph (26) whose occupations are listed as farmer’s sons – Peter (19) and Thomas (17) as well as daughters -20-year-old Teresa and Delia (14). No occupations are listed for the siblings and all four were unmarried. Also in the house was Anne Hillary’s brother, William Quinn (52), a married agricultural labourer. They were all Roman Catholic, could read and write and came from County Galway. There are no details of languages spoken recorded. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof was thatched. There were 3 outbuildings – a stable, a cowhouse and a barn. Anne Hillary was also the landowner.

 

House 2: Donohoe

The head of the household is recorded as John Donohoe, a 55-year-old married farmer who lived with his wife, Bridget aged 41. They had been married for 16 years and had no children. Both were Roman Catholic, could read and write, spoke Irish and English and both and came from County Galway. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 3 rooms and 4 windows. The walls were made of stone or brick and the roof of slate. There were 4 outbuildings consisting of a stable, a cowhouse, a barn and a dairy. John Donohoe was also the landowner.

  

1901 Census

Overview of townland

There were 3 houses in total in this townland, all of which were built and are recorded as private dwellings, but house number 3 was uninhabited. Both houses had stone or brick walls, and one had a roof of thatch, wood or other perishable material while the other was slated. Both dwellings were recorded as 2nd class. There was a total of 11 people living in the townland of which 6 were male and 5 were female. All were Roman Catholics. The heads of the households were also the landholders and the owner of house number 3 is listed as John Raftery of Attyregan.

  

House 1: Hillery

The head of the household was 43-year-old widow Anne Hillary. In the house there were sons, Patrick (15), John (12), Peter (9) and 7-year-old Thomas well as daughters Mary Ellen (13), Theresa (11) and Delia (5). Patrick’s occupation is given as farming and the other children except the two youngest are described as scholars. They were all Roman Catholic, could read and write (except the youngest two children) and all came from County Galway. There are no details recorded of languages spoken by the household. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with rooms and 3 windows. The walls were stone or brick and the roof was thatched. Anne Hillery was also the landowner.

 

House 2: Donohoe

The head of the household is recorded as John Donohoe, a 45-year-old married farmer who lived with his wife, Bridie aged 32, a housekeeper. They were joined in the house by 68-year-old unmarried labourer John Callanan who is also described as a servant. All were Roman Catholic, could read and write, spoke only English and all three and came from County Galway. The house is described as a 2nd class private dwelling with 3 rooms and 5 windows. The walls were made of stone or brick and the roof of slate. John Donohoe was also the landowner.

 

House 3: uninhabited

 

  

[1] Transcribed in 1901 census as Carrowrea Lower

 

 

This page was added on 21/11/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *