Scarreth / Scarad Irish Grid M 69504 39376
Author: Roger Harrison
The townland of Scarreth is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of Kilconnell and the County of Galway.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
This townland contains 103 acres, 3 roods and 4 perches. It is flat and dry of a middling good quality. Houses in general are in good repair. It belongs to Alexander Lynch, Esq. held by deed for ever. It pays County Cess £2. 7s. 5d.
(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)
Is situated in the eastern side of the parish in the barony of Kilconnel bounded by Garrafine, Garrafina Trench, Garrafine Ussher and Lisskub East in same barony and by Esker in the barony of Tiaquin.
This is a list of townlands that share a border with Scarreth.
The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.
1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records for Ballymacward.
1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.
1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1851: There are no surviving records for County Galway.
1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government
1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.
1901: See below
1911: See below
Overview of the townland
There were 3 houses in Scarreth but only 2 houses, 1 and 3 were occupied and they were listed as being private dwellings. The landholder of all the houses was M.A. Cruise. Both houses had stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and house 3 had a slate, iron or tiled roof. Both houses were 2nd class dwellings. House 1 had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows. There were a total of 11 out buildings with 2 stables, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries, a barn and 4 sheds. House 2 had a shed. The enumerator for the area was James P. Dalton.
House 1: Neill / Gillen
The head of this family was Tom (71) and he was married to Bridget (70) and had been for 46 years and in that time they had had 8 children and 6 of those had survived. They lived in the house with 2 of their sons, James (40) and Thomas (30) and also a nephew, John Gillen (19). Tom and Bridget were listed as being born in Galway Ireland and James, Thomas and John were born in Co. Galway. Tom, Bridget and James spoke Irish and English and Thomas and John spoke only English. Tom and Bridget could read only and James, Thomas and John could read and write. Tom was a herd, Bridget, James and Thomas were farmer labourers and John was a shop assistant. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house, a piggery and 2 sheds.
House 2: Unoccupied
House 3: Raftery / Grehem
James (40) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Kate (40) and had been for only a year. Also in the house was a visitor, Edward Grehem (15). James and Kate were born in Co. Galway and Edward was born in England and all were Roman Catholic. James could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. James was a labourer and Edward was a scholar. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling with a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed.
Overview of the townland
There was only 1 house in the townland in 1901 and it was a 2nd class private dwelling. The house had stone, brick or concrete walls and Thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. There were 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was Constable John Kelly.
House 1: Neill
Thomas (60) was the head of the family and he was married to Bridget (55) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, James (28), Maggie (20), Thomas (18) and Michael (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas (60), Bridget and James spoke Irish and English. Thomas (60) could not read, Bridget read only and the children could all read and write. Thomas (60) was a shepherd, James, Thomas (1`8) and Michael were shepherd’s sons and Maggie was a shepherd’s daughter. The house was a 2 roomed, 2nd class house and the landholder was Martin Bourke.
Thomas Kelly leased 1rood and 21 perches of land from Ecclesiastical Comrs. for 4s, Thomas Kenny was a house on 1 acre, 3 roods and 24 perches of land from Ecclesiastical Comrs. for £1 5s for the land and 8s for the house. William Cruise leased 92 acres and 19 perches of land from Rev. E. Warburton for £58 10s annually, Michael Daly leased a house, office on a 2 rood garden from William Cruise for 8s for the garden and £1 10s for the land. Alexander Lynch leased a house on 9 acres, 3 roods and 10 perches of land from William Cruise for £6 for the land and 10s for the house, James Neill leased a house on a 1 rood and 23 perches of a garden from Alexander Lynch for 5s for the garden and 10s for the house and Mary Duffy leased a house and a 20 perches garden from Alexander Lynch for 1s for the garden and 4s for the house.