Killamude East

Cill Modhiúid Thoir

Roger Harrison

Irish Grid: M 65379 39515

 

The townland of Killamude East is in the civil parish of Ballymacward, in the barony of

Kilconnell and the County of Galway.

 

Description:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is the property of Andrew Browne who holds it under a deed for ever. It contains 273a. 3r. 12p all of which is under Demesne with exceptions of about 15 acres and 30 acres of bog, which belongs to the Demesne, the few houses which are in this townland are in bad repair. Amount of County Cess £9. 18. 7.

 

Situation:

(John O’Donovan 1806-1861)

Is situated in the N. West of this parish in the barony of Tiaquin bounded by Moneen Lissloughlin and Mount Hazel in said barony and by Hampstead in the Barony of Kilconnel in this parish, by Ballyara in the parish of Killoscobe, Tiaquin Barony.

 

This is a list of townlands that share a border with Killamude East.

 

 

Census of Ireland (1821- 1911)

The first full population census of Ireland was taken in 1821 and the first four Irish censuses were arranged by county, barony, civil parish and townland.

 

1821: Only some fragments for small parts of county Galway survive. There are no records     for Ballymacward.

1831: The only surviving records are from Counties Antrim and Derry.

1841: There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1851:   There are no surviving records for County Galway.

1861: Census records for 1861 and 1871 were deliberately destroyed by the government

1881: The records for 1881 and 1891 were pulped as waster paper during the shortages of World War I.

1901: Full Census records are available   See below.

1911:   Full Census records are available   See below.

 

1911 Census

Overview of the townland

There were a total of 3 houses in Killamude East and all were occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 1 and 2 had slate, iron or tiled roofs and house 3 had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were all 2nd class dwellings with house 1 having between 2 and 4 rooms and 5 windows in the front and houses 2 and 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows. There were a total of 7 out buildings consisting of 1 stable, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries, a fowl house and a barn. Eight people were in the townland at the time of this census, 6 males and 2 females. The enumerator for the area was John Gallagher.

 

House 1: O’Dea / Moran

The head of the first family was Michael (60) and he was married to Nora (57) and had been for 17 years but there were no children. Also in the house was a nephew Timothy Moran (18). All were Roman Catholic and Timothy was born in America and Michael and Nora were born in Co. Galway. Michael and Nora spoke Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael was a farmer and Timothy was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The Landholder was Michael O’Dea.

 

House 2: Dempsey

The head of this family was Martin (28) and he lived with his brother, Patrick (25). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both spoke Irish and English and could read and write. Both were herds. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and Michael Dempsey was the landholder.

 

House 3: Finegan / O’Dea

The head of this family was Michael (40) and he had been married to Mary (38) for 7 years but there were no children. They shared the house with a stepson, Edward O’Dea (18). They were all born in Co. Galway E. R. and were Roman Catholic. Michael spoke Irish and English and all could read and write. Michael was a farmer and Edward was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Michael Finegan.

 

1901 Census

Overview of the townland

There was only the 1 house in the townland in 1901 and it was a private dwelling. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and had 3 windows in the front. Constable John Kelly was the landholder.

 

House 1: O Dea / Cheevers

The head of this family was the widow Mary (34) and she lived in the house with her son, Edward (8) and her unmarried sister, Jane Cheevers (24). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could all read and write and Mary was a farmer, Edward was a scholar and Jane was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and Mary O Dea was the landholder.

 

 

 

This page was added on 26/02/2020.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *