17. Cathedral of the Assumption
On 3 April 1827 Doctor Oliver Kelly, Roman Catholic Archbishop, on a site donated by Oliver Burke Carraghleagh, laid the foundation stone for the Cathedral of Assumption in Bishop Street. At a cost of twenty thousand pounds work was completed in 1836 and the Cathedral designed by Dominic Madden, was dedicated by the Archbishop McHale on 18 August 1837.
 Andrew Egan and Company was responsible for building many of the most important buildings in the town, most still standing today including the Cathedral of the Assumption, St Jarlath’s College, The Mercy Convent, The Presentation Convent, The Corralea Court Hotel, ‘Books n‘ More’, The Town Hall, the Railway Station, St Jarlath’s Place terrace, Waterslade Place terrace, Toghermore House, and probably Foster Place. He died in 1863 aged 53 years.
Add a comment about this page