Tuam’s first church, a monastery was transferred from Tobberjarlath to this site in 1032. An outer enclosure extended to include St Mary’s in 1127. It was burnt repeatedly in 1244, 1262 and 1355. It was the parish church from 1302-06 and probably took over as the Cathedral for this period. It was in ruins in 1672. Greater part of north wall collapsed in 1890. It is the only ruined twelfth century church that has survived in Tuam. Out of six: Tobberjarlath, the first Saint Mary’s Cathedral, Abbey of the Holy Trinity, Saint John’s Abbey, Templenascreen.
 J.A. Claffey, Irish historic towns atlas no. 20, (Dublin, 2009), p.11.