Originally this was the site of the Church of Ireland’s Archbishop’s Palace built in 1678 and burnt in 1691. It was demolished and ‘Grove House’ replaced it in 1782. It was described by Daniel Beaufort in 1787 as ‘large well looking house’. During the period 1860-82 it was in use as a Diocesan school. Henry Concanon, solicitor and owner of Grove House and his wife died within a few days of each other in 1930.
 Ibid, .p18.