44. The Railway Station 1860–1976
The station was originally opened in 1860 as part of the Waterford, Limerick and Western Railway (WLWR) route between Limerick and Sligo, and was the major stop on the section between Athenry and Claremorris, being the only station on this section with two platforms and a passing loop. In 1901, the WLWR was purchased by the Great Southern and Western Railway, and thus became part of the GSWR’s network. Tuam also featured an extensive goods yard and locomotive facilities.
The station was closed, along with the whole route, in 1976 during Córas Iompair Éireann‘s (CIE) rationalisation of the rail network. Freight trains for Tuam Sugar Factory during Beet Campaigns and to Killala for an acrylic fibre factory Asahi continued to use the line until the 1990s.
 John McIntyre, ‘Tuam fights shock plans’, (http://places.galwaylibrary.ie/history/chapter284.html) (31 Jan 2018).
Add a comment about this page