The barracks was opened in 1922 and previously housed the Royal Irish Constabulary from 1898. It closed in 1988 and presently is in commercial use. It was originally built in 1839 as a private residence later named ‘Saint John’s’. The Priory of Saint John the Baptist was erected by Turlough O’Connor in 1140 probably for the Augustinians on a site behind the old Garda Barracks.
 Ibid, p.13.
Add a comment about this page