The Cross located on the square was dismantled in 1636 and moved to St Mary’s graveyard. A later high cross was reassembled in 1874 which became ‘the Market Cross’ situated there until 1992 when it was removed to Saint Mary’s Cathedral for safe keeping.
 There were four high crosses in twelfth century Tuam. The present cross is missing the top section of its shaft. When the first cathedral collapsed in 1184 it is likely the cross was attached by a timber brace to the cathedral a result of its unusually enormous height. Part of the shaft was smashed.