38. Chapel Lane
The Penal Laws c.1695-1829 were a series of laws imposed in an attempt to force Irish Roman Catholics and Protestant dissenters (such as local Presbyterians) to accept the reformed denomination. This was defined by the English state-established Anglican Church and practised by members of the Irish state-established Church of Ireland. Chapel Lane is the site of a Roman Catholic Church used in Penal times and prior to the present Roman Catholic Cathedral.