Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 972.42 acres / 972 acres, 1 rood, 27 perches
1901 Census for Aillenaveagh (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Aillenaveagh (no records)
Overview of Aillenaveagh in 1911.
The 1911 census shows that there was only the one house in Aillenveagh at that time and it was a private dwelling. The house built of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling and 2 rooms and 2 windows. There were a total of 4 people living in the townland, 2 male and 2 female. The enumerator was Const. James Bolard.
The head of the only family in Aillenaveagh was the widower John (57). He shared the house with his children, Kate (18), Norah (16) and Michael (12). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English with the exception of Michael as there was nothing listed for him under that heading it could mean that he only spoke English. John was a farmer, Kate and Norah were farmer’s daughters and Michael was a farmer’s son. There house was a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and John Nee was the landholder.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) shows that the Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. were the occupiers of Aillenaveagh and had 908 acres, 1 rood and 14 perches of land. There was also 55 acres, 3 roods and 35 perches of water.
Other names for this area in the 1670 Down Survey were Acrisbeg and Sillernath. The 1641 owner was Edmund McMeogh O’Flahartye, a Catholic and in 1670 the owners were Richard Martin, a Catholic, and Edward Browne, a Protestant. There were 89 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 66 plantation acres of profitable land and 66 plantation acres were forfeited.