Townland: Clifden Demesne
Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Clifden
Area: 191.90 acres / 191 acres, 3 roods, 24 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881
1911 Census for Clifden Demesne (no records)
Galway Library for Clifden Demesne
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Clifden Demesne
Name Books for the Parish of Omey
1901 Census for Clifden Demesne
Overview of Clifden Demesne in 1901
There were a total of 6 houses in the townland of Clifden Demesne with house 6 being unoccupied but the landholders were the Trustees of J.J. Eyre. All the houses were listed as being private dwellings. All the occupied houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 5 had a slate, iron or tiled roof while all the others had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials. House 5 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 2 and 3 were 2nd class dwellings and houses 1 and 4 were 3rd class. Houses 1 and 4 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 2 and 3 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 5 had 8 rooms and 8 windows in the front. There were a total of 26 out buildings consisting of 6 stables, 2 coach houses, 2 harness rooms, 6 cow houses, a calf house, 3 piggeries, a fowl house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house, a potato house and a store. The Enumerator’s abstract return states that there were 23 people in the townland at the time of the census, 11 males and 12 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.
The widow, Bridget (65) was the head of this family and she shared the house with her son, Patrick (27). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but only Patrick could read and write. Bridget was a farmer and Patrick was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Bridget Lydin [sic].
There were 10 members of this family and the head of the family was Joseph (62) and he was married to Anne 52 and they shared the house with 8 of their children, Patrick (18), Bridget (17), Michael (14), Joseph (12), Margaret (10), Julia (9), Agnes (7) and Winefred [sic] (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from Julia, Agnes and Winefred [sic], they could speak both Irish and English. Joseph (62), Anne, Agnes and Winefred [sic] could not read and all the others could read and write. Joseph (62) was a farmer, Anne was a farmer’s wife, Patrick and Michael were farmer’s sons, Bridget was a farmer’s daughter and all the other children were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Joseph Keady.
McGrath (additional surname: Duane)
Martin (70) was the head of the family in house 3 and he was married to Mary (68) and they lived in the house with their son, Patrick (28) and a servant, Mary Duane (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Patrick could read and write. Martin was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s wife, Patrick was a civil bills officer and summons server and Mary Duane was a general servant domestic. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Martin McGrath.
House 4 was home to husband and wife, Festus (60) and Mary (62). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English, but neither could read. Festus was a farmer and Mary was a farmer’s wife. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Festus Mulkerrin.
Jackson (additional surnames: Garvey, Joyce and Angier)
Walter (41) was listed as the head of this household and he shared the house with 4 servants, Eliza Garvey (17), Norah Garvey (14), Martin Joyce (19) and William B. Angier (40). Walter was Church of Ireland, William B. was a member of the Swedenborg church and the others were all Roman Catholic. Walter and William B. were born in England and the other 3 were all born in Co. Galway. They could all read and write. Walter was a farmer, Eliza was a cook domestic servant, Norah was a domestic servant, Martin was a groom domestic servant and William B. was a fisherman in the oyster fishery. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 8 rooms and they had 2 stables, a coach house, a harness, 2 cow houses, a calf house, a boiling house, a barn, a turf house and a potato house. The landholder was Walter Jackson.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Clifden Demesne
Margaret Walker Steenson [sic] – Application No. C/21 1974. Ref. No. Cen S/11/446. The application was received on 8th March 1921 and had an address of Mrs. M.W. McAdorney [sic], 67 Weir Street, Belfast. Margaret’s parents were James and Jane Steenson (Mahood) and they lived with Blake, Renville Castle, Clifden. The address for the 1851 search was Clifden, Clifden Demesne or Clifden Town, in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. In the left hand margin the names Mary, Anne, Eliza and Jane were written. The search was returned on the 4th April 1921 with the words “No trace of James and Jane Steenson. Found Thos and Bridget Blake, shoemaker, no trace applicant”.
Peter Higgins (born 1831) – Application No. C/21 7029. Ref. No. Cen S/11/442. The application was received on 10th November 1921with an address at that time of Mr. Timothy Kyne, Ross, Headford, Co. Galway. Peter’s parents were Michael and (?) Higgins. The address for the 1841 search was Clifden Demesne or Clifden Town, in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 11th November 1921 with the words “Found Michl and Catherine Higgins married 1809. Children, Michael 15yrs, Mary Nee 7yrs, cousin” and also “This is the only family of Higgins in Clifden”
Mary Leetle [sic]– Application No. C/17 764. Ref. No. Cen S/11/444. The application was received on 22 January 1917. The address at that time was Mrs. Mary Tyrell, West End, Bundoran. Mary’s parents were Pat and Honour Leetle [sic] nee Fahey. The address for the 1851 search was Clifden or Clifden Demesne, in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. In the right hand margin there was a hand written note saying “Birth certs of persons born in Ireland prior to 1864 are not procurable as public regn. of births in Ireland did not commence until that year.” The application was returned on 26th January 1917 with the words “Not found”.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Clifden Demesne
(Thomas Eyre was the immediate lessor in Clifden Demesne unless otherwise stated)
Plot 1a: Thomas Eyre had, in fee (for himself), a house, offices and 134 acres, 2 roods and 30 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £55 for the land and £30 for the buildings.
Plot 1b: Thomas Purcell Leased a house and garden of 3 roods for 10s for the garden and also 10s for the house.
Plot 2: Bridget Kelly paid 10s for 1 acre and 33 roods of land and 1os for a house.
Plot 3: Anthony King leased 7 acres, 1 rood and 31 perches of land for which he paid £1 10s annually.
Plot 4a: Mary McLoughlin leased a house and 2 acres of land for 13s for the land and 7s for the house.
Plot 4b: Michael Keady paid 3s for a garden with an area of 30 perches and 5s for a house.
Plot 4c: Martin McGrath leased a house, offices and a garden of 20 perches for which he paid 2s for the garden and 13s for the house and offices.
Plot 4d: Owen Kelly leased a house for 5s and a garden of 1 rood for 5s from Mary Toole.
Plot 5: Margaret Darcy paid 15s for 2 acres and 15 perches of land and 5s for a house.
Plot 6: Thomas Eyre had, in fee (for himself), commonage land with an area of 56 acres, 2 roods and 25 perches that had an annual ratable valuation of £1 5s.
There were also 3 roods and 5 perches of water in the townland.
1670 Down Survey for Clifden Demesne
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Longcarrow and Emloughmore. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owner was the Catholic Murrogh o Na Bullie and in 1670 the owner was James Darcy, also a Catholic. There were 45 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 103 plantation acres of profitable land and those 103 plantation acres were forfeited.
Add a comment about this page