Rusheen

An Roisín

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Rusheen

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                         61.61 acres / 61 acres, 2 roods, 17 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Map

Galway Library for Rusheen

Logainm for Rusheen

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Rusheen

 

1911 Census for Rusheen

Overview of Rusheen in 1911

The 1911 census shows that there were a total of 4 houses in the townland at that time and that they were all occupied and listed a being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 2 was a 3rd class dwelling while the other 3 houses were all 2nd class. House 2 had 2 rooms and 1 window and the other 3 houses all had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B.2) shows that there were 17 out buildings, 4 stables, 4 cow houses, a calf house, 4 piggeries and 4 potato houses. There were 21 people in the townland at that time, 12 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Mullen

The widower Stephen (87) was the head of the first family in Rusheen and he lived in the house with his son, Stephen (40), his daughter-in-law, Catherine (35), who had been married for 10 years and had had 4 children. Those 4 children also lived in the house and they were, Mary (7), Celia (4), Bridget (3) and Winifred (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Stephen (87), Stephen (40) and Catherine could all speak both Irish and English and read and write and Mary could read only. Both the Stephens were farmers and Mary was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Stephen Mullen.

 

Mulkerrin

The head of this family was Patrick (48) and he had been married to Anne (49) for 18 years and they had had 6 children and 5 of those had survived. Those 5 children also lived in the house and they were, Martin (14), John (12), Bridget (10), Michael (8) and Thomas (6). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Anne, Martin and John spoke Irish and English and Martin, John and Bridget could read and write. Patrick was listed as being a farmer and all the children were listed as being scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Patrick Mulkerrin.

 

Davis

John (76) was the head of this family and he shared the house with his wife, Barbra (67) and they had been married for 45 years and they had had 9 children and 5 of which had survived. 2 of those children also lived in the house, William (43) and Thomas (29). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. John could not read, William could read only and Barbra and Thomas could read and write. John, William and Thomas were all listed as being farmers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was John Davis.

 

Connolly

Festus (73), a widower, was the head of the last family in the townland and he lived in the house with his son, James (32) and daughter, Mary (27). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and James and Mary could also read and write. Both Festus and James were Famers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Festus Connolly.

 

1901 Census for Rusheen

Overview of Rusheen in 1901

There were 5 houses in the townland in 1901 and all were occupied and were private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials foe roofing. They were all 3rd class dwellings and house 3 had 2 rooms and 1 window in the front and the others all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 9 out buildings and they consisted of 2 stables, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries, 2 barns and a potato house. There were 24 people in the townland, 13 males and 11 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Peter Hunt.

 

Connolly

Festy (60) was the head of the first family in Rusheen and he was married to Margret (52) and they lived in the house with 4 of their children, James (22), Thomas (19), Mary Agnes (15) and Annie (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Festy, they could all read and write. Festy was a farmer, James was a farmer’s son and Thomas, Mary Agnes and Annie were scholars. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Festy Connolly.

 

Davis                                       (additional surname: McDonough)

The head of this family was John (58) and he was married to Abbie (50) and they shared the house with 4 of their children, William (30), Thomas (18), Anthoney [sic] 16 and Maggie (12) and also in the house was a visitor, Annie McDonough (22). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John, Abbie, William and Annie all spoke Irish and English and all the family, apart from John, could read and write. John was a farmer and fisherman, William, Thomas and Anthoney [sic] were all farmer’s sons and Maggie was a scholar. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a stable. The landholder was John Davis.

 

Fitzpatrick

Mary (45) was listed as the head of this family and she was married, but there was no record of her husband in this entry. She lived in the house with 2 of her children, James (20) and Mary Anne (5). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mary and James spoke Irish and English and Mary Anne spoke only English. None of the family could read or write. Mary was a farmer and James was a farmer’s son. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a stable. The landholder was John Davis.

 

Mulkerrin

The head of this family was Patrick (35) and he was married to Anne (36) and they shared the house with 3 of their children, Martin (3), John (2) and Bridget (3mths). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick and Anne could speak Irish and English and Martin could speak English only. None of the family could read. Patrick was listed as being a farmer. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they also had a cow house, a piggery and a barn. The landholder was Pat Mulkerrin.

 

Mullen

The details of this family are missing but the house and building return shows that the head of the family was Stephen Mullen and he was also the landholder. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they also had a cow house and a potato house.

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Rusheen

Cloonan There was a record of an application with the ref. Cen S/11/463 for 1851. The mother’s maiden name was Mullen.

 

Mulkerrin There was a record of an application with the ref. Cen S/11/464 for 1851 in Rusheen, Claddaghduff.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Rusheen

The immediate lessor in the townland of Rusheen was Christ. St. George and he leased 4 tenements on 40 acres and 9 perches of land to the following: Matthew Maley [sic] and Michael Lacey each paid £3 for land and 10s for houses, Patrick Mulkeerin [sic] paid £1 10s for land and 8s for a house and Stephen Mullin paid £1 10s for land and 7s for a house. There were also 20 acres, 3 roods and 36 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for  Rusheen

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Rowhore. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owner was the Catholic, Daniell O’Voyd O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owner was Sir Robert Holmes, a Protestant. There were 243 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 22 plantation acres of profitable land and those 22 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 18/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *