Cartoorbeg

An Cartúr Beag

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Cartoorbeg

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                           80.00 acres / 79 acres, 3 roods, 39 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

1901 Census for Cartoorbeg  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Cartoorbeg

Logainm for Cartoorbeg

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Cartoorbeg

 

1911 Census for Cartoorbeg

Overview of Cartoorbeg in 1911

There were a total of 6 houses in Cartoorbeg in 1911, of which, 5 were occupied. House 6 was the Omey national school. The other houses were all listed as private dwellings. The occupied houses were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were all 3rd class dwellings and had between 2 and 4 rooms and had 2 windows in the front. There were a total of 6 out buildings, 3 stables, 1 fowl house and 2 potato houses. There were 25 people in the townland at that time, 12 males and 13 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Mulkerin [sic]                         (additional surname: Faherty)

There were 10 members of the family in house 1 and the head of the family was James (55) and he had been married to Bridget (46) for 27 years and in that time they had had 12 children, of which 11 had survived. They shared the house with 7 of their children, Thomas (16), Martin (13), Annie (10), James Francis (7), Agnes (4), Bridget (5) and Patrick (1mth). There was also a boarder living with them at that time, Margaret Faherty (84), who was a widow. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James, Bridget (46), Thomas, Martin, Annie and Margaret all spoke both Irish and English. John Francis could read only, Bridget (46), Thomas, Martin and Annie could read and write and the others could not read. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a potato house. The landholder was listed as being James Mulkerrin.

 

Courcey

The widow Margaret (48) was the head of this household and she had been married for 10 years and had had 4 children and 3 had survived. She shared the house with those 3 children and they were, Patrick Joseph (10), Mary Jane (9) and Maggie (7). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Margaret spoke both Irish and English and the children spoke only English. Maggie could read only and the others could all read and write. Margaret was listed as being a farmer and the children were all scholars. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was Margaret Courcey.

 

Lyden                          (additional surname: Folan)

The head of this family was Peter (49) and he had been married to Maggie (42) for 18 years and in that time they had had 3 children, Mary (16), Patrick John (15) and Bridget (13). Also in the house at that time was a niece, Sarah Folan (15). They were all Roman Catholic and Sarah was born in Scotland and the others were all born in Co. Galway. With the exception of Sarah, all of the family could speak both Irish and English. Peter, Mary, Patrick John and Bridget could all read and write. Peter was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s daughter, Patrick John was a farmer’s son, Bridget was a scholar and Sarah was a general servant domestic. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a fowl house. The landholder was Peter Lyden.

 

Bodkin

The widow, Margaret (73) was listed as the head of this family and she had been married for 50 years and had had 6 children, 4 of which had survived. She shared the house with 2 of her sons, Michael (35) and Stephen (32). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Michael could read and write. Margaret was a farmer and Michael and Stephen were farmer’s sons. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable and a potato house. The landholder was Margaret Bodkin.

 

Connelly

The head of the last house in Cartoorbeg was the widower, John (74) and he lived in the house with his grandson, Patrick (18). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but only Patrick could read and write. John was a farmer and fisherman and Patrick was a farmer’s son. The house they lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms. The landholder was John Connelly.

 

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Cartoorbeg

Winifred Coyne – Application No. C/16 4359. Ref. No. Cen S/11/438. The application was received on 26th July 1916 with an address of The secy [sic] L.G.B. Edinburgh. Winifred’s parents were given as being Michael and Barbara Coyne (Lacey). The address’ given for the 1851 search were Cartoorbeg, Cloon, Gooreen, Gorcenatinny and Sturrakeen. All in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on 28th July 1916 with the words “Not Found”

 

Festus Walsh – Application No. C/20 10634. Ref. No. Cen S/11/439. The application was received on 4th Dec 1920 with an address at that time of Pollaugh, Keel, Westport. Festus’ parents were Tom and Bridget Walsh or Welsh (Pole). The address’ given for the 1851 search were Cartoorbeg, Cloon, Gooreen, Gorcenatinny and Sturrakeen. All in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. The search was returned on the 4th Dec 1920 with the words “Thos and Biddy Walsh married 1836.No return of Festus”

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Cartoorbeg

Nicholas J. Bodkin leased 72 acres, 2 roods and 26 perches of land from Thomas Eyre for £16 10s.  John King, James Sullivan, Patrick Conneely all leased houses form Nicholas J. Bodkin for 5s and there was also a vacant house belonging to Nicholas J. Bodkin with an annual ratable valuation of 5s. Patrick Toole leased a house and a garden of 1acres and 1 rood from Nicholas J. Bodkin for 10s for the garden and 5s for the house and the Irish Church Mission Society leased a school house for 10s, but there was an exemption on that rent.

 

1670 Down Survey for Cartoorbeg

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Towerskehin & Loghanna. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaherty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the Protestant Thomas Cunny.

This page was added on 18/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *