Letternoosh

Leitir Núis

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Letternoosh

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Clifden

Area:                                         401.48 acres / 401 acres, 1 rood, 37 perches

 

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-18811911 Census for Letternoosh

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Letternoosh  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Letternoosh

Logainm for Letternoosh

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Letternoosh

 

1911 Census for Letternoosh

Overview of Letternoosh in 1911

Letternoosh had a total of 11 houses, of which 10 were occupied. House 11 was the Streamstown national school and the landholder was Thos Gibbons, and all the others were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed with stone, brick or concrete walls and had house 2 had  a slate, iron or tiled roof and all the other occupied houses had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 2 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 1, 3 and 7-10 were 2nd class dwellings and houses 4 and 5 were 3rd class. House 4 had 1 rooms and 1 window, houses 1 and 5-8 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front, houses 9 and 10 had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front, house 3 had 4 rooms and 3 windows and house 2 had 9 rooms and 5 windows in the front. There were a total of 30 out buildings and they consisted of 6 stables, 2 coach houses, 9 cow houses, 2 calf houses, 4 piggeries, 3 fowl houses, 2 turf houses, a potato house and a shed. Forty-eight people were in the townland at the time of this census, 24 males and 24 females. One male and 2 females were Protestant and the others were all Roman Catholic. The enumerator for the area was Constable James Barrett.

 

Frazer

The head of the first household in Letternoosh was Thomas (59) and he had been married to Catherine (53) for 28 years and in that time they had had 7 children and all had survived. They shared the house with 4 of those children, Michael (25), John (17), Kattie [sic] (16) and Festy (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both Parents spoke Irish and English and all could read and write. Thomas and John were farm labourers, Michael and Kattie [sic] were wool carders and Festy was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Joshua Smyth.

 

Smith                                                                          (additional surnames: Corbett and Coyne)

Joshua (84) was the head of this household and he lived in the house with his sisters, Louisa Elizabeth (85) and Dan Jane (74) and 2 servants, Mary Corbett (62) and Bridget Coyne (16). Joshua, Louisa Elizabeth and Dan Jane were Church of Ireland and Mary and Bridget were Roman Catholic and all were born in Co. Galway. Mary and Bridget could speak both Irish and English. Joshua could not read, Louisa Elizabeth, Dan Jane and Mary could read and write and Bridget could read and write badly. Joshua’s occupation was in farming, Mary was a domestic servant and Bridget was a housemaid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 9 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a cow house, 2 fowl houses and a turf house. The landholder was Joshua Smyth.

 

Gibbons                                                                      (additional surnames: King and Conneely)

Thomas (48) was the head of the family in house 3 and he was married to Maggie (45) and had been for 18 years but they had no children. They shared the house with a nephew, Leo King (12) and a servant, Jane Conneely (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and read and write. Thomas was a farmer, Leo was a scholar and Jane was a farm servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Thos Gibbons.

 

Coyne

The head of this family was Thomas (82) and he had been married to Bridget (80) for 60 years and they had had 5 children and 4 of those had survived. They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. Thomas was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a cow house. The landholder was Thos Coyne.

 

Coyne

Patrick (46) was the head of the family in house 5 and he was married to Katie (43) and had been for 21 years and they had had 8 children and all had survived. Seven of those children also lived in the house at that time and they were, Maggie (18), Bridget (15), Michl (12), Patk (10), Martin (7), Ellen (5) and Katie Anne (2). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Katie, Maggie and Bridget spoke Irish and English and the 5 eldest children could read and write. Patrick was a farmer and Michl, Patk, Martin and Ellen were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Pat Coyne.

 

Walsh

John (40) was listed as being the head of this family and he shared the house with his brother, Martin (38) and sister, Mary (42). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and John could read and write. John was listed as being a farmer and Martin was a farm labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was John Walsh.

 

King

The head of the King family in house 7 was Martin (68) and he had been married to Mary (58) for 32 years and during that time they had had 6 children, of which 4 had survived. Three of those children were also in the house at that time and they were, Michael (20), Delia (26) and Patrick (18). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both parents were listed as being able to speak only English. Martin could read only and Mary, Michael and Delia could read and write. Martin was a farmer and Michael and Patrick were farm labourers. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, 2 cow houses and a piggery. The landholder was Martin King.

 

Molloy

Martin (68) was the head of this family and he lived in the house with his wife of 40 years, Mary (67). They had had 10 children. Of which 7 had survived. Also in the house at that time were 5 of those children, Bridget (38), Micheal (32), Peter (18), Ellen (15) and Martin (13). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Mary and Micheal could read and write and the others could all read only. Martin (68) was a farmer and Martin (13) was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Matty [sic] Molloy.

 

Conway                                                                                   (additional surname: Malley)

John (60) was the head of this household and he had been married to Mary (60) for 28 years and they had had 2 children but only 1 had survived. They shared the house with a servant, Michael Malley (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and read and write. John was a farmer and Michael was a general servant. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Conway.

 

Senier [sic]

The head of the last family in Letternoosh was the widow, Bridget (75) and she shared the house with her son Thomas (32), her daughter, Hannah (35) and daughter-in-law, Roseann (19). They were all Roman Catholic and Bridget and Thomas were born in Co. Tipperary, Hannah was born in Co. Clare and Roseann was born in Co. Galway. Bridget spoke Irish and English and all could read and write. Thomas was a wool spinner and weaver. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms. The landholder was Bridget Senier [sic].

 

1901 Census for Letternoosh

Overview of Letternoosh in 1901

There were a total of 12 houses in the townland of Letternoosh according to the 1901 census. Eleven of those were occupied, with house 12 being unoccupied and was the Streamstown national school. All the occupied houses were listed as being private dwellings. All the houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls with house 1 having a slate, iron or tiled roof, while all the others had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1, 3, 9 and 11 were 2nd class dwellings and houses 2, 4-8 and 10 were 3rrd class. Houses 4, 5 and 6 had 1 room and 1 window, houses 2, 7, 8 and 10 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 9 had 2 rooms and 3 windows, houses 3 and 11 had 3 rooms and 3 windows and house 1 had 9 rooms and 4 windows in the front. The out-offices and farm-steadings return shows that there were a total of 25 out buildings, 4 stables, 8 cow houses, 4 calf houses, 5 piggeries, a fowl house, a barn, a potato house and a shed. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 57 people in the townland at that time, 27 males and 30 females. 26 males and 27 females were Roman Catholic and 1 male and 2 females were Protestant. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Smith                                                             (additional surnames: Corbett and McDonough)

Mary Anne (80), who was unmarried, was listed as the head of this household and she lived in the house with her sisters, Louise Elizabeth (75) and Dan Jane (63), her brother, Joshua C. (74) and 2 servants, Mary Corbett (40) and Delia McDonough (20). All of the Smith family were Church of Ireland and Mary and Delia were Roman Catholic and Mary Anne was born in Co. Tipperary and all the others were born in Co. Galway. Mary was listed as being able to speak Irish and English and Delia spoke only English. All, with the exception of Delia, could read and write. Mary Anne, Louise Elizabeth and Dan Jane were listed as having an income from houses and lands dividends, Joshua C. was listed as being in farming, Mary was a cook and C domestic servant and Delia was a housemaid and C domestic. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 9 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Mary Anna Smith.

 

Frazer                                                                                     (additional surname: Nee)

Thomas (40) was the head of this family and he was married to Catherine (36) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Michael (13), Mary Anne (10), Margaret (9), John Thomas (6), Catherine (4) and Festus (1). Also in the house at that time was a visitor, Mary Nee (60). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Thomas and Catherine (36) spoke Irish and English. Mary Anne and Margaret could read only, Michael could read and write and the others could not read. Thomas was a farmer, Michael was a farm servant and Mary Anne, Margaret, John Thomas and Catherine (4) were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a piggery. The landholder was Mary Anna Smith.

 

Gibbons                                                          (additional surnames: King, Nee and Fitzpatrick)

The head of the household in house 3 was Thomas (40) and he was married to Margaret (37) and they shared the house with a nephew Leo King (4) and 2 servants, Michael Nee (18) and Mary Fitzpatrick (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the household could speak both Irish and English, apart from Leo. Thomas and Margaret could read and write and the other 3 could read only. Thomas was listed as being a farmer, Margaret was a farmer’s wife, Leo was a farmer’s nephew, Michael was a farm servant and Mary was a general servant domestic. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery, a barn, a potato house and a shed. The landholder was Thomas Gibbons.

 

Harte

The sole occupant of house 4 was the widow, Anne (75) and she was a Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. She spoke Irish and English, could not read and was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room. The landholder was Anne Harte.

 

Coyne

Thomas (65) lived in house 5 with his wife, Bridget (75). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English but neither could read. Thomas was a farmer and Bridget was listed as being a farmer’s wife. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a piggery. The landholder was Thomas Coyne.

 

Coyne

There were 7 members of this family and the head was Patrick (34) and he was married to Catherine (30) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, Mary (9), Margaret (7), Bridget (5), Michael (2) and Patrick (1mth). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick (34), Catherine and Mary spoke Irish and English. Catherine and Margaret could read only, Mary could read and write and the others could not read. Patrick (34) was a farmer, Catherine was a farmer’s wife and Mary, Margaret and Bridget were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 1 room and they had a cow house. The landholder was Patrick Coyne.

 

Walsh

The widower, Michael (60) was the head of this family and he lived in the house with 3 of his children, Mary (30), John (28) and Martin (26). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only John could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s daughter and John and Martin were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Michael Walsh.

 

Faherty

The head of this household was Mary (30), who was unmarried and she lived in the house with 2 of her brothers, William (26) and Michael (20) and her daughter, Bridget (21). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Bridget could read and write. Mary and Bridget were listed as farmer’s daughters, William was a farmer and Michael was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was William Faherty.

 

King

Of the 7 members of this family, Martin (50) was the head and he was married to Mary (45) and they shared the house with 5 of their children, Bridget (18), Mary (16), Sarah (14), Michael (11) and Patrick (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Martin, Mary (45) and Bridget spoke Irish and English. Mary (16) and Patrick could not read, Martin could read only and all the others could read and write. Martin was a farmer, Mary (45) was a farmer’s wife, Bridget, Mary (16) and Sarah were farmer’s daughters and Michael was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house and a calf house. The landholder was Martin King.

 

Molloy

There were 9 members of this family in house 10 and the head was Martin (50) who was married to Mary (50) and they lived in the house with 7 of their children, John (20), Michael (17), Honor (11), Patrick (8), Peter (6), Ellen (4) and Martin (3). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Both parents spoke Irish and English and Martin (50), Honor and Patrick could read and write. Martin (50) was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s wife, John and Michael were listed as being farmer’s sons and all the others were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Martin Molloy.

 

Conway

The head of the last family in Letternoosh was John (48) and he lived in the house with his wife, Mary (47) and their daughter, Bridget (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was a farmer, Mary was a farmer’s wife and Bridget was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a calf house and a piggery. The landholder was John Conway.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Letternoosh

Martin King and Margaret Corbett jointly leased buildings on 144 acres, 1 rood and 4 perches of land from Thomas Eyre for which they each paid £4 for the land and Martin paid 10s for a house and offices and Margaret paid 5s for a house. Walter Cooney leased a house from Martin    King for 8s and Patrick Gannon, Thomas Joyce and Thos and Peter Coyne jointly leased 71 acres, 1 rood and 28 perches of land from Martin King with houses for which they each paid £2 for land and 5s for houses. Patrick Nee leased a house on 4 acres of land from Martin King for 15s for the land and 5s for the house. Henry Casey leased 66 acres, 1 rood and 21 perches of land with a house and offices from Thomas Eyre for which he paid £4 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings and he, in turn leased some of that land and a house to Dorothea Macarthy [sic] for which she paid £1 10s for land and 10s for a house. Bridget Marry leased a house on 2 acres and 2 roods of land from Henry Casey for 5s for the land and 5s for the house, James Casey leased a house and offices on 61 acres, 1 rood and 13 perches of land from Thomas Eyre £7 15s for the land and £1 5s for the buildings and John Coyne leased a house and Office on 5 acres and 3 roods from Anthony Gorham for £3 for the land and 10s for the buildings. Morgan Conneely leased a house with a garden of 1 rood and 20 perches from John Gaynor for 5s for the garden and 10s for the house, John Mullen leased 2 acres of land from Hamilton Smythe for 15s and Michael Heeney [sic] leased a house on 4 acres and 2 roods of land from Hamilton Smythe for 15s for the land and 5s for the house. William O’Donnell leased 2 tenements form Hamilton Smythe, the first was 8 acres and 15 perches of land for £1 15s and the second,  a house on 2 acres and 20 perches of land for 18s for the land and 7s for the house and Hamilton Smythe leased a house and offices on 20 acres and 18 perches of land from Thomas Eyre for £3 10s for the land and £3 for the buildings. There were also 4 acres, 1 rood and 37 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Letternoosh

The Down Survey name for this area was Litternuse. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty, and in 1670 the owner was the Catholic, James Darcy. There were 465 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 24 plantation acres of profitable land and those 24 plantation acres were forfeited.

 

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *