Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Derrylea
Area: 395.68 acres / 395 acres, 2 roods, 29 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Couravoghil (no records)
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Couravoughil (no records)
Overview of Couravoughil in 1911
The 1911census shows that there were 2 houses in the townland of Couravoughil but only one was occupied but both were listed as being private dwellings. The landholder of house 2, the unoccupied house, was Patrick O’Hara. House 1 was constructed of stone, brick or concrete with a slate, iron or tiled roof. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 8 rooms and 6 windows in the front.
Wood (additional surnames: Smith and Conneely)
The head of the only household in Couravoughil was John C. (67) who had been married to his wife, Elizabeth W. (68) for 34 years and they had had 2 children, both of whom had survived. They shared their house with their daughter, Mary H. Smith (33), who was married but there was no mention of a husband in this entry. She had been married for 3 years and had 2 children, Cecil L.W. (2) and Eileen Mary (11mths). Also in the house at that time were 2 boarders, Richard S. Smith (16) and Cecelia S. Smith (14) and also a servant, Bridget Conneely (16), John C. and Elizabeth W. were Church of Ireland, Bridget was a Roman Catholic and the others were all Methodists. John C. was born in Lancashire, Elizabeth W. was born in London, Richard S. and Cecelia S. were both born in Co. Cavan and the others were all born in Co. Galway. With the exception of the 2 grandchildren, they could all read and write. John C. was a farmer, Richard S and Cecelia S. were scholars and Bridget was a servant. The house was 1st class dwelling with 8 rooms and they had stable, a coach house, a cow house, a dairy and a fowl house. The landholder was John Woods.
Overview of Couravoughgil in 1901
There were 2 houses in the townland in 1901 and both were occupied and house 1 was a private dwelling and house 2 was a lodging house. Both houses were constructed of stone, brick of concrete walls and slate, iron or tiles for roofing. Both houses were 2nd class dwellings and house 1 had 4 rooms and 4 windows in the front and house 2 had 4 rooms and 5 windows. There were a total of 4 out buildings, a stable, 2 cow houses and a piggery. There were a total of 10 people in the townland at that time, 3 males and 7 females. The enumerator foe the area was Const. William Lavelle.
The head of this Wood family was John (59) and he was married to Eliza W. (56) and they shared the house with 2 daughters, Mary F. (23) and Norah (22). They were all Church of England and John was born in Liverpool, Eliza W. was born in London, Mary F. was born in Clifden, Co. Galway and Norah was born in Liverpool. They could all read and write and John was a farmer and the daughters were listed as farmer’s daughters. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was John Wood.
There were 2 families living in house 2 that was a lodging house.
The widow Anne (60) lived in this part of the house with her daughter, Ellie (38). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could both speak both Irish and English and read and write. Anne was a housekeeper and Ellie was a national school teacher. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they also had a cow house. The landholder was John McDonnell.
John (91), a widower, was listed as the head of this family and he shared this part of the house with his daughter-in-law, Mary (50) and 2 grandchildren, Mary Jane (19) and William (12). Mary was Church of England and was born in Scotland while the others were all Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. John spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was listed as being a marble artist and William was a scholar. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they also had a cow house. The landholder was John McDonnell.
The Down Survey name for this area was Carvoughall. The 1641 owner was listed as being Thomas Lynch, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was James Darcy, also a Catholic. There were 168 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 9 plantation acres of profitable land and those 9 acres were forfeited.