Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Sillerna
Area: 84.58 acres / 84 acres, 2 roods, 12 perches
1911 Census for Barnahallia (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Barnahallia (no records)
Overview of the townland.
There was only 1 house in the townland of Barnahalia in 1901 and it was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had a slate, iron or tiled roof. It was a 2nd class dwelling with between 10 and 12 rooms and 4 windows in the front. It was a private dwelling and the enumerator for the area was Const. Peter Hunt.
The widower Charles G. (54) was listed as being the head of this family and he lived in the house with his daughter, Eleanor A. (19). They were both Church of Ireland and born in Co. Cork. Charles G. spoke Irish and English and Eleanor spoke only English. Both could read and write. Charles G. was a J.C.M. Missionary and Eleanor A. was a housekeeper. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 10 and 12 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Charles G. MacCarthy.
Henry Malone leased 60 acres and 22 perches of land from The Directors of the Law Life Assurances Co. for £2. The Rev. Alex R.C. Dallas owned 21 acres, 2 roods and 6 perches of land with an annual ratable valuation of £2 and the Irish Church Mission Society leased a school house that had an annual ratable valuation of £2 10s, there was an exemption for that rent. There were 4 acres and 24 perches of water in the townland also.
The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Caheigale and Knockbracke. The 1641 owner was Bryan McMurrogh Flahartye, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was the Protestant, John Brown.