Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Bencorr
Area: 1134.36 acres / 1134 acres, 1 rood, 17 perches
1901 Census for Tievebaun (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Tievebaun (no records)
Overview of Tievebaun in 1911.
According to the census of 1911 there was only the one house in Tievebaun in that year. The house was a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing.
The head of the only family in Tievebaun was Thomas (45) who had been married to Barbara (40) for 20 years and in that time they had had 6 children, all of whom had survived. Those 6 children also lived in the house with them and they were Martin (10), Thomas (8), Patrick (6), Michael (5), Ellen (3) and Barbara (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Only Thomas (45) and Barbara (40) were listed as speaking both Irish and English but there was nothing recorded for the others so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Only Thomas (45) and Barbara (40) could read and write, although Martin and Thomas (8) could read only. Thomas (45) was a Herd and Martin, Thomas (8) and Patrick were scholars. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable. Thomas Conry was the landholder.
The Directors of the Law Life assurance Co. owned the land in the townland of Tievebaun and there was a herd’s house and land of 1136 acres, 2 roods and 20 perches for which there was an annual ratable valuation of £19 5s for the land and 15s for the buildings.
The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Towerskehin and Loghanna. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 the owner was Thomas Cunny, a Protestant.