Courhoor

An Corrbhóthar

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Courhoor

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                         529.12 acres / 529 acres, 0 roods, 19 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Courhoor  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Courhoor

Logainm for Courhoor

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Courhoor

 

1911 Census for Courhoor

Overview of Courhoor in 1911.

The 1911 census shows that there were 3 houses in the townland of Courhoor and they were all occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. All 3 houses were 3rd class dwellings and house 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window and houses 1 and 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 8 out buildings consisting of 3 stables, a cow house, 2 piggeries, a fowl house and a shed. Fifteen people lived in the townland, 9 males and 6 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Edmund Moloney.

 

Mullen

Festus (75) was listed as the head of the first house in Courhoor and he had been married to May (73) for 47 years and they had had 8 children and 7 of those had survived. Three of those children lived with them and they were, Michael (42), John (38) and Bridget (25). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Michael, John and Bridget could read and write. Festus was listed as a retired farmer and Michael and John were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a shed. The landholder was Festy Mullen.

 

Malley                                     (additional surname: Scullion)

Michael (76) was the head of this family and he had been married to Mary (76) for 52 years and they had had 6 children and all had survived. They shared the house with Michael’s sister, Mary (86), who was a widow, son-in-law, R. John Scullion (25), daughter, Nora (30), they had been married for 5 years and they had had 3 children and 2 had survived, R. John Scullion (3) and Martin (1). They were all Roman Catholic with R. John (25) being born in Co. Derry, R, John (3) was born in Scotland and the others were all born in Co, Galway. Michael (76), Mary (76), Mary (86) and Nora spoke both Irish and English and R. John (25) spoke only English. Only R. John (25) and Nora could read and write. Michael (76) was a farmer and R. John (25) was a labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Michael Malley.

 

Melady [sic]

The widower, John (80) was the head of the last house in Courhoor and he shared the house with his son, Patrick (49) and daughter, Margaret (45). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Patrick could read and write. Both John and Patrick were listed as being farmer’s. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a stable. The landholder was John Melady [sic]

 

1901 Census for Courhoor

Overview of Courhoor in 1901

There were 4 houses in Courhoor in 1901 and they were all listed as being private dwellings and were occupied. They were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. Houses 1 and 2 were 2nd class dwellings and houses 3 and 4 were 3rd class. House 4 had 1 room and 1 window in the front, house 3 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window in the front, house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 6 out buildings, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a fowl house and a barn. There were 22 people in the townland, 12 males and 10 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thos. O’Grady.

 

Halloran

The head of the first family in Courhoor was Catherine (55) and she was married but there was no husband mentioned in this entry. She shared the house with 4 of her children, Anne (17), John (15), Michl (11) and Patk (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Patk could read only while the others could all read and write. Catherine was a farmer, Anne was a farmer’s daughter, John was a farmer’s son and Michl and Patk were scholars. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had 2 cow houses. The landholder was Catherine Halloran.

 

Melia                           (additional surname: Early)

Michael (50) was the head of this family and he was married to Mary (50) and they lived in the house with 2 daughters, Honor (20) and Ellen (18), a daughter-in-law Bridget (2) [sic], 2 grandsons, Michl (4) and Thomas (4mths) and an unspecified relation, John Early (7). They were all Roman Catholic and John Early was born in Scotland, Michl was born in America and the rest were all born in Co. Galway. With the exception of Thomas and John, they all spoke Irish and English and Michael, Honor, Ellen and Bridget could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Honor and Ellen were farmer’s daughters and John was a scholar. The house they all lived in was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a cow houses, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Michael Melia.

 

McElleady [sic]

The head of the family in house 3 was John (60) and he was married to Mary (55) and they lived in the house with their daughter, Maggie (30) and son, Pat (40). Maggie was a farmer’s daughter and Pat was a farmer’s son. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Maggie and Pat could read and write. John was a farmer, Maggie was a farmer’s daughter and Pat was a farmer’s son. The house they all lived in was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a barn. The landholder was John McElleady [sic]

 

Mullen

The head of the last family in Courhoor was Festy (59) and he lived in the house with his wife, Mary (56) and their 3 children, Michael (29), John (26) and Bridget (16). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Bridget, who only spoke English. Michael, John and Bridget could read and write. Festy was listed as being a farmer, Michael and John were farmer’s sons and Bridget was a farmer’s daughter. The house was a single roomed, 3rd class dwelling and Festy Mullen was the landholder.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Courhoor

The Rev. Anthony McGee owned the land in Courhoor and he had a herd’s house on 516 acres, 2 roods and 38 perches of land that had an annual ratable valuation of £13 15s for the land and 5s for the hers’s house. There were also 15 acres and 35 perches of water in the townland.

 

 

1670 Down Survey for Courhoor

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Callow. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owners were the Catholics, Bryan McMurrough O’Flahartye, David McPlatafe O’Toole and Phelim McTurlogh O’Toole. The owner in 1670 was James Darcy. There were 250 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 27 plantation acres of profitable land and 27 plantation acres were forfeited.

 

This page was added on 18/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *