Loch Ána

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Loughauna

Civil Parish:                               Omey

Barony:                                      Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Clifden

District Electoral Division:     Derrylea

Area:                                          1071.40 acres / 1071 acres, 1 rood, 23 perches


Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

1901 census for Laoughauna  (no records)

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Loughauna  (no records)


Galway Library for Loughauna

1670 Down Survey for Loughauna

Logainm for Loughauna

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Loughauna

Name Books for the Parish of Omey

West Connemara men who lost their lives in WWI (Clifden and Connemara Heritage Society)


1911 Census for Loughauna

Overview of Loughauna in 1911

There was only 1 house in the townland in 1911 and it was occupied and listed as being a private dwelling. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Barrett.



The head of the only family in Loughauna was Thomas (30) and he was married to Anne (28).  All of the family could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic and Thomas was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling and had 3 rooms and had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Thomas Walsh.


Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Loughauna

The Directors of the Law Life Insurance Co. leased a herd’s house on 980 acres, 1 rood and 23 perches of land to Patrick Mullin for £15 10s form the land and 10s for the herd’s house. There were also 61 acres and 37 perches of water in the townland.


1670 Down Survey for Loughauna

The Down Survey name for this area was Towerskehin & Loghanna. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owner was the Catholic, Edmund O’Flaherty and in 1670 (post Cromwell) the owner was the Protestant, Thomas Cunny.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.