Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Clifden
Area: 555.19 acres / 555 acres, 0 roods, 29 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Doon (no records)
Overview of Doon in 1911
There were just the 2 houses in the townland of Doon in 1911 and they were both occupied and listed as being private dwellings. Both houses had stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had a roof of thatch, wood or other perishable materials while house 2 had a slate, iron or tiled roof. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 3 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 2 had 8 rooms and 5 windows in the front. Between the 2 houses there were a total of 6 out buildings, 2 stables, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a store. There were 7 people in the townland, 3 males and 4 females. The enumerator was Sergeant Andrew Young.
Connolly (additional surname: Mannion)
Patrick (34) was the head of this family and he was married to Ellen (26) and they had been married for 4 years and they had had 2 children, Kate (3), Michael (1) and also in the house at that time was a visitor, Mary Mannion (12). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Patrick, Ellen and Mary spoke Irish and English and Kate and Michael could not read, Patrick could read only and Ellen and Mary could read and write. Patrick was a herd and farmer and Mary was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a stable, a cow house, a calf house, a piggery and a store. The landholder was Patrick O’Neill.
Kelly (additional surname: Heffernan)
James Francis (45) was the head of this household and he shared the house with a housekeeper, Anne Heffernan (26). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. James Francis spoke both Irish and English and Anne spoke only English but both could read and write. James Francis was a R. C. Curate. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 8 rooms and had a stable. The landholder was Patrick O’Neill.
Overview of Doon in 1901
There were only 2 houses in Doon in 1901 and they were both occupied and recorded as being private dwellings. Both houses were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 1 had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and house 2 had slate, iron or tiles for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 2 rooms and 1 window in the front while house 2 had 4 rooms and 6 windows in the front. There were no out buildings listed for the townland and there were 7 people in Doon at that time, 5 males and 2 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Peter Hunt.
The head of this family was John (62) and he was married to Kate (55) and they lived in the house with 3 of their sons, Pat (20), James (19) and Tom (23). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all the sons could read and write. John was a herd and Pat, James and Tom were herd’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Pat O’Neill.
Burke (additional surname: Garvey)
James (36) was the head of this household and he shared the house with a servant, Bridget (37). Both were Roman Catholic and James was born in Co. Galway and Bridget was born in Co. Mayo. They could speak both Irish and English and could read and write. James was a Roman Catholic Clergyman and Bridget was a servant domestic. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms. The landholder was Pat O’Neill.
The Rev. Anthony Magee was the immediate lessor in the townland of Doon. He had offices on 552 acres and 1 rood of land that had an annual ratable valuation £50 for the land and £5 for the buildings. Patrick Farrell leased a house for 10s and Gregory Reilly leased a house on 1 acre and 3 roods of land that he paid 10s for the land and 5s for the house.
The Down Survey name for this area was Downe. The 1641(pre-Cromwell) owners were Ulick Burke, Earl of Clanricard, who was a Catholic and the Earl of Clanrickard, who was a Protestant and the 1670 owner was the Protestant, Earl of Clanrickard. There were 152 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 40 plantation acres of profitable land and 40 plantation acres were forfeited.