Attigoddaun

Áit Tí Geadáin

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Attigoddaun

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                         187.55 acres / 187 acres, 2 roods, 7 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Attigoddaun  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Attigoddaun

Logainm for Attigoddaun

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Attigoddaun

 

1911 Census for Attigoddaun

Overview of Attigoddaun in 1911

The 1911 census shows that there was only 1 house in the townland and that 4 people lived there. There were no records for form B.1, house and building return or form B.2, out-buildings and farm-steadings return. The enumerator for the area was Const. Edmund Moloney.

 

Mogan [sic]

The head of the only family in Attigoddaun was Patrick (28) and he had been married to Anne (30) for 10 years and they had had 5 children, but only 2 had survived. Those 2 children lived with them and they were Mary (8) and Annie (3). They were all born in Co. Mayo and were Roman Catholic. Only Mary could read and write. Patrick was a tin smith (itinerant) and Mary was a scholar.

 

1901 Census for Attigoddaun

Overview of Attigoddaun in 1901

The house and building return, form B.1 was badly damaged and torn but the information that can be got from it was that there were 8 houses in the townland. Houses 1 and 2 were built of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing and the records could not be seen for the other houses. It looks as though all the houses were 3rd class dwellings, except house 7 that was a 2nd class house. House 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and no windows in the front, house 7 had 5 or 6 rooms and 3 windows in the front and the others all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. The record for the out-offices and farm-steadings was also badly torn and although it shows there were a total of 23 out buildings, we can only see that that included 1 barn and 5 potato houses. The enumerator’s abstract return was unreadable. The enumerator for the area was Const. Thomas O’Grady.

 

Lydon                          (additional surname: Joyce)

Patrick (66) was the head of the first family in Attigoddaun and he was married to Barbara (60) and they shared the house with 3 of their grandchildren, Patrick Joyce (7), Michael Joyce (6) and John Joyce (5). They were all Roman Catholic and Patrick (66) and Barbara were born in Co. Galway and the children were all born in Scotland. Patrick (66) and Barbara could speak both Irish and English but none of the family could read or write. Patrick (66) was a farmer and Patrick (7) was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with a cow house and a calf house. The landholder was Pat Lydon.

 

Malley

The head of this family was Mathias (54) and he was married to Mary (44) and they shared the house with 7 of their children, Ellen (23), John (20), Thomas (17), Bridget (14), Patrick (12), Martin (10) and Matthew (5). Also in the house was Mathias’ brother, Patrick (47). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Mathias, Mary, John and Thomas spoke Irish and English and all the family could read and write. Mathias was a farmer, Ellen was a dressmaker, John and Thomas were farmer’s sons, Bridget, Patrick (12), Martin and Matthew were scholars and Patrick (47) was an ex constable in the R.I.C. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, 2 cow houses, a piggery, a barn and a potato house. The landholder was Mathias Malley.

 

Cloherty                                  (additional surname: Delap)

The head of the family in house 3 was John (50) and he was married to Mary (50) and they lived in the house with 7 of their children and they were, Mary (18), Anne (16), James (14), Kate (13), Bridget (8), Thomas (6) and Maggie (3). Also in the house at that time was a visitor, Anne Delap (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from James Bridget, Thomas ad Maggie, all of the family could speak both Irish and English. With the exception of Mary (50), Thomas and Maggie, they could all read and write. John (50) was a farmer, Mary (18) and Anne Delap were farmer’s daughters and Anne (16), James, Kate, Bridget and Thomas were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was John Cloherty.

 

Burke

Nicholas (50) was the head of this household and he shared the house with his brother, Pat (20). They were both born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They could speak both Irish and English and Pat could read and write. Nicholas was a farmer and Pat was a farm labourer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was Nicholas Burke.

 

King

Peter (5) was the head of this family and he was married to Bridget (40) and they shared the house with 8 of their children, John (15), Ellen (10), Anne (8) Joe (5), Kate (5), Maggie (3), Mollie (3) and Celia (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Peter, Bridget, John and Ellen could speak both Irish and English and Bridget, John, Ellen and Anne could read and write. Peter was a farmer, John was a farmer’s son and Ellen and Anne were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was

Peter King.

 

McDonnell                              (additional surname: King)

James (56) was the head of this family in house 6 and he was married to Maggie King (50) and they shared the house with 5 of their children and they were, Michael (21), Mary (15), Val (11), Patrick (9) and James (5) and also in the house was Maggie’s mother, Margaret King (80), a widow. They were all Roman Catholic but only James (56) had a place of birth listed and that was Co. Galway. James (56), Maggie and Margaret spoke Irish and English and the others all spoke only English. James (56), James (5) and Margaret could not read, Patrick could read only and all the others could read and write. James (56) was a farmer, Michael was a farmer labourer, Mary was a farmer’s daughter and Val, Patrick and James (5) were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was James McDonnell.

 

Coursey

The Coursey family in house 7 had, as its head, Michael (60) and he was married to Ellen (50) and they lived in the house with 4 of their daughters, Maggie (18), Bridget (15), Honor (13) and Jane (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Ellen and Maggie, they could all read and write. Michael was a farmer, Maggie and Bridget were farmer’s daughters and Honor and Jane were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was listed as being M. Coursey.

 

McDonnell

Festy (60) was listed as the head of the last house in Attigoddaun and he was married to Bridget (50) and they lived in the house with 3 of their sons, John (28), Anthony (19) and Patrick (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. John could read only and Anthony and Patrick could read and write. Festy was listed as being a farmer and John, Anthony and Patrick were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and the landholder was Festy McDonnell.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Attigoddaun

Griffith’s Valuation shows that there were 172 acres, 3 roods and 24 perches of land in the townland of Attigoddaun and the Rev. Sir Christopher R. Lighton [sic], Bart leased 7 tenements on that land to the following: Daniel King leased 2 plots, the first being land for £4 15s and the second was a house and land for £2 5s for the land and 10s for the house. Richard Burke leased 2 plots, the first was land for £2 5s and the second was a house and land for £3 for the land and 10s for the house and Martin Malley Leased a house, offices and land for £4 5s for the land and 10s for the buildings. Michael Cloherty leased a house, offices and land for £4 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings and Thomas King leased a house, offices and land for £4 15s for the land and 10s for the buildings.

 

Richard Burke leased 4 tenements on that land to the following James Cloherty leased a house, offices and land for £1 10s for the land and 10s for the buildings, John Kane leased a house and land for £1 13s for the land and 7s for the house, William Heaney leased a house and land for £1 12s for the land and 8s for the house and Thomas Maley [sic] leased land for £1 10s.

 

Thomas Maley [sic] leased a house and land from Martin Maley [sic] for £2 for the land and 10s for the house and Valentine King leased a house, offices and land from Martin Maley [sic] for £3 for the land and 10s for the buildings. John Cloherty leased a house from Rev. Sir Christopher R. Lighton [sic], Bart for 5s and Honor Gannon and Celia Burke leased a house from Richard Burke for 10s. There were also 10 acres, 2 roods and 34 perches of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Attigoddaun

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Knocklegane and Athagoodan. The 1641 owner was Bryan Murrough O’Flahartye, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was Sir Thomas Meredith, a Protestant. There were 9 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 77 plantation acres of profitable land and 77 plantation acres were forfeited.

 

This page was added on 13/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *