Glen

An Gleann

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Glen

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                         293.80 acres / 293 acres, 3 roods, 8 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Glen (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Glen

Logainm for Glen

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Glen

 

1911 Census for Glen

Overview of Glen in 1911

There were just 2 houses in the townland of Glen and they were both occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were both constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were both 3rd class houses and had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There 4 out buildings, 2 cow houses, a piggery and a potato house. There were a total of 7 people in the townland at the time of the census, 4 males and 3 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Coyne

Thomas (74) was listed as the head of this family and he was married to Ellen (71) and had been for 49 years in which time they had had 11 children and 10 of those had survived. Living in the house with them were 2 of their sons, Festus (28) and Peter (26). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only the 2 sons could read and write. Thomas was a farmer and Festus and Peter were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house. Thomas Coyne was the landholder.

 

Coyne

The widow, Bridget (68), who had been married for 42 years and had had 7 children and 5 had survived, was listed as the head of this Coyne family and she shared the house with her son, Patrick (31) and her daughter-in-law, Norah (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget and Patrick spoke both Irish and English and Norah spoke only English. None of the family could read. Both Bridget and Norah were listed as being farmer’s wives and Patrick was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Bridget Coyne.

 

1901 Census for Glen

Overview of Glen in 1901

There were just 2 houses in the townland of Glen and they were both occupied and were listed as being private dwellings. They were both constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. They were both 3rd class houses and had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 2 out buildings, a cow house and a barn. The enumerator was Const. Peter Hunt.

 

Coyne

Thomas (60) was the head of this family and he was married to Ellen (58) and they lived in the house with 4 of their children, Stephen (19), Festy (17), Maggy (16) and Peter (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and all 4 of the children could read and write. Thomas was a farmer, Stephen, Festy and Peter were farmer’s sons and Maggy was a farmer’s daughter. The house they lived in was a 3rd class house with between 2 and 4 rooms and they also had a cow house. The landholder was Tom Coyne.

 

Coyne

The head of this family was the widow Bridget (50) and she lived in the house with 3 of her children, Patrick (24), Bridget (22) and Maggie (13). They were all Roman Catholic and born in Glan [sic], Clifden, Co. Galway. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Bridget (22) and Maggie could read and write. Bridget (50) was a farmer, Patrick was a general labourer, Bridget (22) was a farmer’s daughter and Maggie was a scholar. The house they all shared was a 3rd class dwelling with between 2 and 4 rooms and they had a barn. The landholder was Bridget Coyne.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Glen

The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. were the immediate lessors in Glen and they leased 289 acres, 2 roods and 32 perches of land to Matthias Burke and William Davis for which they each paid £12 10s. There also 2 acres of water in the townland.

 

1670 Down Survey for Glen

The 1670 name for this area was Glan. The 1641 owner (Pre Cromwell) was the Catholic Hugh McBryan O’Toole and in 1670 the owner was Sir Thomas Meredith, a Protestant. There were 143 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 13 plantation acres of profitable land and 13 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 18/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *