Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Clifden
Area: 131.51 acres / 131 acres, 2 roods, 1 perch
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Eyrephort (no records)
Overview of Eyrephort in 1911
There was only 1 house in Eyrephort and it was occupied and listed as being a private dwelling. It was built of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 3rd class dwelling and had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. The enumerator was Const. Patrick Dunning.
Conneely (additional surname: Lyden)
Peter (49) was the head of the family and he had been married to Mary (41) for 21 years and they had had 4 children, 2 of which had survived. They lived in the house with those children, Patrick (16) and Mary Ellen (10) and also in the house at that time was Mary’s widowed mother, Bridget Lyden (75). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Peter and Mary spoke Irish and English and Mary, Patrick and Mary Ellen could read and write. Peter was a farmer and shepherd, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Mary Ellen was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Bernard L. Lee.
Overview of in Eyrephort in 1901
The 1901 census shows that there was only the 1 house in the townland at that time and that it was occupied and was listed as being a private dwelling. It was a 3rd class dwelling constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. The house had 2 rooms and 1 window in the front. There were just 5 people living tin the townland. The enumerator for the area was Const. Martin Sweeney.
Conneely (additional surname: Heraghty)
Peter (38) was the head of this family and he was married to Mary (31) and they shared the house with their son, Patrick (6) and daughter, Mary Ellen (7mths) and also a servant, Bridget Heraghty (14). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Peter and Mary spoke Irish and English and Mary and Bridget could read and write. Peter was a shepherd and Bridget was a nurse domestic servant. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Bernard Lee.
Hamilton Smyth leased a herd’s house with 142 acres, 3 roods and 39 perches of land from Thomas Eyre for £52 for the land and 5s for the herd’s house.
The Down Survey name for this area was Loghtonaba. The 1641 owner was the Catholic, Bryan Murrough O’Flahartye and in 1670 the owner was Sir Robert Holmes, a Protestant. There were 43 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 4 plantation acres of profitable land and 4 plantation acres were forfeited.