Barnanoraun (Omey)

Barr na nÓrán

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                  Barnanoraun (Omey)

Civil Parish:                               Omey

Barony:                                       Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                          Clifden

District Electoral Division:     Bencorr

Area:                                          367.86 acres / 367 acres, 3 roods, 17 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Barnanoraun (Omey)

Map

Galway Library for Barnanoraun (Omey)

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Barnanoraun (Omey)  (no records)

 

 

1911 Census for Barnanoraun (Omey)

Overview of Barnanoraun (Omey) in 1911.

The 1911 census shows that there were 3 houses in Barnanoraun (Omey) in 1911 that were all listed as being private dwellings. They were constructed stone. Brick or concrete and had thatch, wood of other perishable material for roofing. They were all 3rd class dwellings and house 1 had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front and houses 2 and 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows. The out-offices and farm-steadings return (form B2) shows that there were a total of 5 out buildings consisting of 2 stables and 3 cow houses. The enumerator’s abstract return (form N) shows that there were a total of 17 people living in the townland, 9 male and 8 female. The enumerator was Const. Martin Gilmore.

 

King                            (additional surname: Joyce)

The head of the first house in Barnanoraun (Omey) was the Widow Honor (86) and she shared the house with her son Thomas (45) and he had been married to Margaret (47) for 11 years and in that time they had had 3 children and 2 of those had survived. Also in the house were Honor’s grand children, Mary (8), Bridget (6) and Michael Joyce (17). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Honor, Thomas and Margaret spoke both Irish and English but there was nothing entered for the others so that could indicate that they only spoke English. Only Thomas and Michael could read and write. Thomas was listed as being a farmer, Michael, as a farm labourer and Mary, as scholar. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable and a cow house. Thomas King was the landholder.

 

Gibbons 

House 2 was the home of the Gibbons family and the head of this family was the widow Eliza (68) and she shared the house with her 2 sons, John (32) and Michael (23). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was a cartpenter (sic) and Michael was a farm servant. They all shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling with a cow house. Thomas King was the landholder.

 

King 

The head of this King family was Myles (57) who had been married to Annie (50) for 28 years and in that time they had had 9 children and 8 of those had survived. They shared the house with 6 of those children, Myles (21), Thomas (18), Patrick (15), Mary (12), Martin (9) and Annie (1). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except Martin and Annie (1). Apart from baby Annie, they could all read and write. Myles (57) was listed as being a farmer, Myles (21) and Thomas were farmer’s sons and Patrick, Mary and Martin were scholars. They shared a 2 roomed, 3rd class dwelling and they had a stable and a cow house. Myles King was the landholder.

 

 

1901 Census for Barnanoraun (Omey)

Overview of Barnanoraun (Omey) in 1901.

The 1901 census shows that there was only the 1 house in the townland of Barnanoraun (Omey) at that time. The house was a private dwelling and was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had Thatch, wood or other perishable material for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. There were 6 people living in the townland, 4 male and 2 female. The enumerator was Const. William Lavelle.

 

Manning                              (additional surname: Gibbons)

The head of this family was Pat (80) who was married to Bridget (70). They shared the house with their son, John (30), their daughter, Barbara Gibbons, her son-in-law, Thomas Gibbons and her grandson, Martin Gibbons (5mths). All were born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All spoke both Irish and English except baby Martin. Only John, Barbara and Thomas could read and write. Pat and Thomas were listed as being farmers, John and Martin were farmer’s sons. They all lived in a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling and Pat Manning was the landholder.

 

 

1670 Down Survey for Barnanoraun (Omey)

The 1670 Down Survey name for this area was Bearnenoran. At this time Barnanoraun was considered to be one townland and not divided into Moyrus and Omey, but considered to be in the Civil Parish of Omey. The 1641 owner was Murragh Na Mart O’Flaharty, a Catholic and the 1670 owners were James Darcy and Richard Martin, both also Catholics. There 1215 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 94 plantation acres of profitable land and 94 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *