Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Cleggan
Area: 639.99 acres / 639 acres, 3 roods, 37 perches
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Shinnanagh (no records)
Overview of Shinnanagh in 1911
There was only the 1 house in Shinnanagh in 1901 according to that year’s census. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had slate, iron or tiled roofing. It was a 1st class dwelling with 4 rooms and 6 windows in the front. There was also a cow house. According to the enumerator’s abstract return form, there was only 1 resident living there, a male. The enumerator was Const. Edmund Moloney.
The sole occupant of the only house in Shannanagh was Festus (28). He was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English and could read and write. Festus’ occupation is listed as a shepherd (domestic servant). The house he lived in was a 4 roomed, 1st class house with a cow house. The landholder was Richard Kearney.
Overview of Shannanagh in 1901
According to the 1901 census, there was only 1 house in the townland of Shannanagh in that year. It was constructed of stone, brick or concrete and had slate, iron or tiled roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and 4 windows in the front. There were a total of 3 persons living in the townland, 2 male and a female. The enumerator was Const. Thomas O’Grady.
Walsh Family (additional surname: Cribbins)
The head of the Walsh family was Pat (40) along with his son Festy (15) and Pat’s mother-in-law, Barbara Cribbins (55) who was a widow. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of them spoke both Irish and English but only Festy could read and write. Pat was recorded as being a Herd and Festy, a herd’s son. The house they shared was a 2 roomed, 2nd class dwelling. The landholder was R. Kearney Esq.
According to the Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) Edmund O’Flaherty owned the land in this area and leased 327 Acres, 1 Rood and 2 Perches of land with house and offices to Gartside Shea at an annual rate of £20 for the land and £6 for the buildings. Gartside Shea then leased 2 tenements, one to William Collis and another to Charles P. Archer. William Collis leased 120 Acres, 1 Rood and 24 Perches along with a house for £7 for the land and £2 for the house. Charles P. Archer leased a house, offices and 182 Acres, 1 Rood and 34 Perches of land for £8 for the land and £4 for the buildings.
The Downs Survey name for this area was Sinnanagh. The 1641 owner was the Catholic Donnell O Voyd O’Flaherty and in 1670 the owner was the Protestant Sir Robert Holmes. There were 300 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 43 plantation acres of profitable land with 43 plantation acres being forfeited.