Grallagh

An Ghreallach

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                Grallagh

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Sillerna

Area:                                         177.25 acres / 177 acres, 0 roods, 39 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Grallagh (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Grallagh

Logainm for Grallagh

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Grallagh

 

1911 Census for Grallagh

Overview of Grallagh in 1911

There were 5 houses in the townland of Grallagh in 1911 and they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were constructed of Stone, brick or concrete walls and all had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 2nd class dwelling and all the others were 3rd class. House 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window in the front, house 1 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and the other houses all had between 2 and 4 rooms and 2 windows. There were 11 out buildings, 2 stables, a coach house, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries, a fowl house and 3 potato houses. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were 22 people in the townland, 13 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Davis

Michael (70) was the head of the first family in Grallagh and he was married to Liza (61) and had been for 40 years and they had had 12 children but only 9 of those had survived. They shared the house with 3 of those children, Patrick (25), Bridget (24) and Agnes (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Michael and Liza spoke both Irish and English and Patrick, Bridget and Agnes spoke only English. Liza could read only while all the others could read and write. Michael was a farmer, Patrick was a farmer’s son and Bridget and Agnes were farmer’s daughters. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a cow house, a piggery, a fowl house and a potato house. The landholder was Michael Davis.

 

Ward

John (84) was the Head of this family and he had been married to Nann [sic] (74) for 52 years and during that time they had had 9 children of which 6 had survived. Also in the house at that time was their son Michael (30). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John and Nann spoke Irish and English and Michael spoke only English. None of the family could read. John was a farmer and Michael was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and a potato house. The landholder was John Ward.

 

Ward

The widow, Bridget (75) was listed as the head of this household and she had been married for 50 years and had had 9 children with 8 of those surviving. She lived in the house with her son, William (46) who was married to Jane (27) and had been for 2 years and they had 2 children, Thomas (1) and William (3mths), who also lived in the house. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from the grandchildren, all of the family could speak both Irish and English. William (46) and Jane could read and write. Bridget was listed as being a farmer and William (46) was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was Bridget Ward.

 

Daly

Bridget (40) was the head of this family and she had been married for 14 years and had had 7 children and 6 of those had survived. There was husband listed in this entry. She lived in the house with 5 of those children and they were, Matthew (13), Andrew (12), Francis (11), Mary Agnes (9) and Annie Brigid (2mths).  They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Apart from baby Annie Brigid, all of the family could speak both Irish and English and read and write. Bridget was a national school teacher and Matthew, Andrew, Francis and Mary Agnes were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 3 rooms. The landholder was Martin Acton.

 

Ward

The widower, Patrick (50) was the head of the last family in Grallagh and he shared the house with 2 of his sons, Thomas (21) and Michael (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. They all spoke only English and could read and write. Patrick was a farmer and Thomas and Michael were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms. The landholder was Patrick Ward.

 

1901 Census for Grallagh

Overview of Grallagh in 1901

The 1901 census shows that there were 5 houses in the townland of Grallagh and that they were all occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all built of stone, brick or concrete walls and they also had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 5 was a 4th class house and the other 4 were all 3rd class. House 5 had 1 room and no windows, house 2 had between 2 and 4 rooms and 1 window and houses 1, 3 and 4 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. There were 5 out buildings, a stable, 3 cow houses and a piggery. Twenty-three people lived in the townland, 14 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. Peter Hunt.

 

Davis

Michael (60) was the head of the first house in Grallagh and he was married to Eliza (55) and they shared the house with 6 of their children, Thomas (20), Annie (17), Patrick (16), Bridget (15), Richard (12) and Agnes (11). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, except for Agnes. Apart from Michael, they could all read and write. Michael was listed as being a farmer, Thomas and Patrick were farmer’s sons, Annie and Bridget were farmer’s daughters and Richard and Agnes were scholars. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and a piggery. The landholder was Michael Davis.

 

Ward

The head of this Ward family was the widow, Margaret (63) and she shared the house with 2 of her sons, Patrick (32) and Michael (29). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Patrick was the only one that could read and write. Margaret was a farmer and Patrick and Michael were farmer’s sons. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was Margaret Ward.

 

Ward

William (72) and he was married to Anne (60) and they lived in the house with their son, Willy (28). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but none of the family could read. William was a farmer and Willy was a farmer’s son. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was William Ward.

 

Ward

There were 4 members of the household in house 4 and the head of that family was John (70) and he was married to Anne (40) and they lived in the house with 2 of their children, Michael (23) and Margaret (20). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English but only Margaret could read and write. John was listed as being a farmer. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house. The landholder was John Ward.

 

Ward

The last house in Grallagh was home to another Ward family and the head of this family was Pat (38), a widower, who shared the house with 4 of his children, Mary (16), William (14), Thomas (12) and Richard (9). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English, with the exception of Richard. Mary, William and Thomas could all read and write. Pat was listed as being a farmer and Thomas and Richard were scholars. The house was a 4th class dwelling with 1 room. The landholder was Pat Ward.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Grallagh

The Directors of the Law Life Assurance Co. were the main immediate lessors if Grallagh at this time. They had a number of tenements on 156 acres, 1 rood and 32 perches of land. William Ward paid £2 10s for land and 10s for a house, Thomas Ward paid £5 for land and 10s for a house, John Mulkerrin paid £6 for land and 10s for a house and George Ward paid £1 10s for land and 5s for a house to William Ward. William Ward (William) and James Ward each paid £1 for land and 5s for houses, Terrance Toole paid £2 for land and 8s for a house to Thomas Ward and John Ward and William Ward (George) each paid £2 for land and 8s for houses. There were also 3 acres, 3 roods and 3 perches of water in the townland. There was 1 island of 6 perches belonging to the tenants of Grallagh that had no agricultural value.

 

1670 Down Survey for Grallagh

The 1670 Down Survey names for this area were Towerskehin and Loghanna. The 1641 owner was Edmund O’Flaharty, a Catholic and in 1670 the owner was Thomas Cunny, a Protestant.

 

This page was added on 18/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *