Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Derrylea
Area: 1296.79 acres / 1296 acres, 3 roods, 5 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881
1901 Census for Cregg (no records)
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Cregg (no records)
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Cregg
Name Books for the Parish of Omey
1911 Census for Cregg
Overview of Cregg in 1911
There was only 1 houses in the townland of Cregg in 1911 and it was a private dwelling that was constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It was a 2nd class dwelling that had 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Boland.
Patrick (73) was the head of the only family in Cregg and he was married to Barbara (63) and had been for 44 years and they had had 8 children and 7 of those had survived. They shared the house with 2 of their sons, Patrick (28) and Antony (18) and a grandson, Michael (1). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Patrick (28) could read and write, Antony could read only and Patrick (73), Barbara and Michael could not read. Patrick (73) was a herd and Patrick (28) and Antony were herd’s sons. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and cow house. The landholder was Mira Graham.
Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Cregg
Griffith’s Valuation shows that the Director of the Law Life Assurance Co. owned the land in this area and they leased a herd’s house on 1273 acres, 2 roods and 12 perches of land to Catherine McDonagh for £30 10s for the land and 10s for the herd’s house annually.
1670 Down Survey for Cregg
The Down Survey name for this area was Towerskehin & Loghanna. The owner in 1641 (pre-Cromwell) was Edmund O’Flaherty, a Catholic and in 1670 (post-Cromwell) was Thomas Cunny, a Protestant.
Add a comment about this page