Boolard

An Bhuaile Ard

Roger Harrison / Forum Connemara

Townland:                                 Boolard

Civil Parish:                              Omey

Barony:                                     Ballynahinch

Church Parish:                         Clifden

District Electoral Division:    Clifden

Area:                                         372.67 acres / 372 acres, 2 roods, 27 perches

 

Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881

Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Boolard  (no records)

Map

Galway Library for Boolard

Logainm for Boolard

NUI Galway Digital Collections for Boolard

 

1911 Census for Boolard

Overview of Boolard in 1911

The 1911 census shows that there were 4 houses in the townland at that time and that they were all occupied. The houses were all listed as being private dwellings and they were constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and houses 2 and 3 had slate, iron or tiled roofs while houses 1 and 4 had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 2 was a 1st class dwelling, houses 3 and 4 were 2nd class dwellings and house 1 was a 3rd class. Houses 1 and 3 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front, house 4 had 4 rooms and 3 windows in the front and house 2 had 12 rooms and 24 windows in the front. There were a total of 12 outbuildings, 4 stables, a coach house, 3 cow houses, a piggery, a turf house, a potato, house and a shed. The enumerator’s abstract return shows that there were a total of 19 people in the townland at that time, 12 males and 7 females. The enumerator for the area was Const. James Barrett.

 

King

Festus (44) was listed as the head of this household and he was single and lived with his brother, Michael (57) and his sister, Mary (58). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and Festus and Michael could read and write. Festus and Michael were labourers. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable. The landholder was Festus King.

 

Healy                                     (additional surnames: Cleary, Sterry [sic], Cullen and Mullins)

The head of this household was John (69) and also in the house were a niece, Nellie Cleary (24) and 3 servants, Michael Sterry [sic] (40), Bridget Cullen (33) and Mary Mullins (17). All were Roman Catholic and John was born in Co. Sligo, Nellie was born in Halifax, England, Michael and Mary were born in Co. Galway and Bridget was born in Co. Wexford. John and Mary spoke both Irish and English and all could read and write. John was the Roman Catholic Arch Bishop of Tuam, Nellie was member of the Arch Bishop’s team, Michael was a coachman, Bridget was a housekeeper and Bridget was a housemaid. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 12 rooms and they had a stable, a coach house, a cow house, a turf house and a shed. The landholder was Dr. John Healy.

 

Mullen

Stephen (43) was the head of the family in house 3 and he had been married to Ellen (46) for 19 years and they had had 7 children, all of whom had survived. They shared the house with 5 of their sons, Martin (18), John (15), Peter (14), Stephen (8) and Festus (5). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Stephen (43), Ellen, Martin and John spoke both Irish and English. Stephen (43), John, Peter and Stephen (8) could read and write. Stephen (43) and Ellen were listed as being farmers, Martin and John were labourers and Peter, Stephen (8) and Festus were scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable and a cow house. The landholder was Stephen Mullen.

 

Casey

The head of the last family in Boolard was John (70) and he had been married to Catherine (62) for 42 years and they had had 12 children and 9 of those had survived. Two of those children were in the house at that time and they were, Gerald (20) and Lilly (17). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John spoke both Irish and English and Gerald and Lilly were listed as speaking only English. All the family could read and write. John was a farmer and Gerald was a farm labourer. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, a cow house, a piggery and a potato house. The landholder was John Casey.

 

 

1901 Census for Boolard

Overview of Boolard in 1901

There were 4 houses in the townland of Boolard and all were occupied and listed as being private dwellings. They were all constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and house 3 had a slate, iron or tiled roof and the others had only thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 3 was a 1st class dwelling, house 2 was a second class dwelling, house 4 was a 3rd class dwelling and house 2 was a 2nd class dwelling. House 1 had 1 room and no windows, house 4 had 2 rooms and 2 windows, house 2 had 4 rooms and 3 windows and house 3 had had 14 rooms and 20 windows in the front. There were 9 out buildings in the townland and they consisted of 3 stables, 3 cow houses, 2 calf houses and a piggery. They were a total of 19 people in the townland at that time, 10 males and 9 females. The enumerator for the area was Sergeant Andrew Young.

 

Mullen                                                (additional surname: Regan)

Stephen (32) was listed as being the head of the first family in Boolard and he was married to Ellen (36) and they lived in the house with 5 of their children, Martin (8), Mary (6), John (4), Anne (3) and Pether [sic] (2) and also in the house at that time was Ellen’s mother, Bridget Regan (70), who was a widow. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. Bridget spoke only Irish, Stephen and Ellen spoke Irish and English and the children, with the exception of baby Pether [sic], could speak only English. Only Stephen could read and write. Stephen was a farmer, Ellen and Bridget were farmer’s wives and Martin, Mary and John were scholars. The house was a 4th class dwelling with 1 room and they had a cow house. The landholder was Stephen Mullen.

 

Casey

The head of this family was John (58) and he was married to Catherine (46) and the shared the house with 4 of their children, Henry (18), Teresa (14), Gerald (12) and Lillie (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. John and Catherine spoke both Irish and English and the children all spoke only English. All the family could read and write. John was a farmer, Catherine was a farmer’s wife and the children were all scholars. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 4 rooms and they had a stable, cow house a calf house and a piggery. The landholder was John Casey.

 

Berry

The only occupant of house 3 was Thomas (24). He was a Roman Catholic and was born in Co. Galway. He spoke both Irish and English, could not read and was listed as being a caretaker and farm servant. The house was a 1st class dwelling with 14 rooms and he had a stable. The landholder was Thomas Corless [sic].

 

King                                        (additional surname: Baker)

Mary (40), who was unmarried, was listed as being the head of this household and she shared the house with 2 of her brothers, Michael (37) and Festus (33) and also a servant, Mary Baker (10). They were all Roman Catholics and Mary Baker was born in Scotland and the others were all born in Co. Galway. All of the family could speak both Irish and English. Mary (40) could read only and all the others could read and write. Mary (40) was a farmer’s daughter, Michael was a farmer’s son, Festus was a farmer and Mary Baker was a general servant domestic. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a stable, cow house and a calf house. The landholder was Festus King.

 

Griffith’s Valuation (1847-1864) for Boolard

The immediate lessor in the townland of Boolard was the Rev. Anthony Magee and he leased 3 tenements on 372 acres, 2 roods and 27 perches of land. Rev. Anthony Magee had land for himself (in fee) with an annual ratable valuation of £19, Gregory Conneely paid £1 15s for land and 7s for a house, John Carr paid £3 5s for land and 5s for a house and office and Daniel King paid £1 15s for land and 5s for a house.

 

1670 Down Survey for Boolard

The 1670 Down Survey name for Boolard was Belleard. The 1641 (pre Cromwell) owner was the Catholic, Donnell Vade O’Flaherty and in 1670 was Sir Robert Holmes, a Protestant. There were 481 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 83 plantation acres of profitable and 83 plantation acres were forfeited.

This page was added on 11/06/2018.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *