Civil Parish: Omey
Church Parish: Clifden
District Electoral Division: Derrylea
Area: 712.85 acres / 712 acres, 3 roods, 15 perches
Baptism and Marriage records for Clifden R.C. Parish 1821-1881
Galway Library for Tooraskeheen
NUI Galway Digital Collections for Tooraskeheen
Name Books for the Parish of Omey
1911 Census for Tooraskeheen
Overview of Tooraskeheen in 1911
There was only 1 house in the townland in 1911 and it was listed as being a private dwelling and constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and had thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. It had 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front.
Coyne (additional surname: Wallace)
Martin (29) was listed as being the head of the only household in Tooraskeheen and he had been married to Nora (25) for 4 years and they had 2 children, Michael (3) and Mary (1). Also in the house at that time was Martin’s sister, Mary Wallace (48), who had been married for 20 years but there was no record of children. They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All the adults could speak both Irish and English but only Martin and Nora could read and write. Martin was a herd. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and had a stable, a cow house and a piggery. The landholder was Thomas Walsh.
1901 Census for Tooraskeheen
Overview of Tooraskeheen in 1901
There were 2 houses in Tooraskeheen at the time of the 1901 census and both were listed as being private dwellings and constructed of stone, brick or concrete walls and thatch, wood or other perishable materials for roofing. House 1 was a 3rd class dwelling while house 2 was a 2nd class. House 1 had 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front and house 2 had 2 rooms and 3 windows. There were 6 outbuildings, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries and 2 fowl houses.
The widow, Sarah (>50)[i] and she lived in the house with 4 of her children, Patrick (30), Mary (22), Thomas (20) and Paul (10). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and the children could all read and write. Sarah was a shepherd, Patrick and Thomas were listed as being herds, Mary was a general housekeeper and Paul was a scholar. The house was a 3rd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Harry McDonnell, Letterfrack.
The head of the second house in Tooraskeheen was Pat (60) and he was married to Barbara (40) and they lived in the house with 6 of their children, Michael (27), Ellen (22), John (20), Pat (18), Honor (16) and Anthony (8). They were all born in Co. Galway and were Roman Catholic. All of the family could speak both Irish and English and, apart from Pat (60), Barbara and Anthony, they could all read and write. Pat (60), Michael, John and Pat (18) were all listed as being herds. The house was a 2nd class dwelling with 2 rooms and they had a cow house, a piggery and a fowl house. The landholder was Harry McDonnell, Letterfrack.
Old Pension Census (1841-1851) for Tooraskeheen
Mary King – Application No. C/16 6381. Ref. No. Cen S/11/464. The application was received on 24th October 1916 with an address at that time of Mrs Mary McDonnell, Barrougs, Letterfrack, Co. Galway. Mary’s parents were Martin and Katie King (Coyne). The residence for the 1851 search was given as Tooraskeheen, in the Parish of Omey, in the Barony of Ballynahinch, Co. Galway. There was a list of names in the left hand margin: Mary 3, John 2, Martin, Thomas, Michael, Maggie, Nora, Catherin and Brigid. The search was returned on 27th October 1916.
Griffith’s Valuation for Tooraskeheen
There was just 1 plot in Tooraskeheen that had 5 divisions, a, b, c, d and e. It had a total area of 715 acres and 16 perches of land.
(a) Mark Conneely leased a house, offices and land from the Directors of the Law Life Insurance Co. for £11 for a portion of the land and 10s for the buildings.
(b) Martin King leased land, a house and offices from the Directors of the Law Life Insurance Co. for £5 10s for a portion of the land and 10s for the buildings.
(c) Festus O’Donnell leased a house, offices and land from the Directors of the Law Life Insurance Co. for £5 10s for a portion of the land and 10s for the buildings.
(d) Celia Corbett leased a house, offices and land from Mark Conneely for which she paid £1 10s for land and 10s for the buildings.
(e) Michael King leased a house and land from Martin King for £1 15s for the land and 5s for the house.
1670 Down Survey for Tooraskeheen
The Down Survey name for this area was Towerskehin & Loghanna. The owner in 1641 (pre Cromwell) was the Catholic, Edmund O’Flaharty and in 1670 (post Cromwell) the owner was Thomas Cunny, a Protestant. There were 1812 plantation acres of unprofitable land, 111 plantation acres of profitable land and that land was forfeited.
[i] The exact age was unreadable in the original return but was 50 something.
Add a comment about this page