Ballydavid Middle is situated 1½ miles North of Athenry. It is bounded on the North by Mountain North, Ballydavid North and Ballydavid. It is bounded on the West by Parkmeakle, on the south by Ballydavid South and on the East by Cahertubber East and West.
The Down survey map 1641 (pre Cromwell) shows that the owner was Andrew Brown FitzOliver (catholic). The Down survey map 1671 (post Cromwell) states that the owner was John Whaley (protestant)
O’Donovan’s Field Name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Ballydavid, Baile Dáibhidh and Ballydavid Middle. It was the property of Mr. Bateman containing 201 statute acres which was all under cultivation. Near its North East extremity stands a castle ruins.18 chains from its South Eastern angle stands a Trigl. Station and old castle, 227 feet above the sea. A bye (sic) road/lane passes through its centre from the castle ruins, and it is bounded on the East by the road from Athenry to Monivea.
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, James Clarke leased tenements to Michael Coalter. Lord Dunsandle leased tenements to John Bourke. James Clarke retained a herd’s house, office, and land for himself consisting of 191 acres 0 roods 15 perches. He paid a total annual valuation rate of £47-0-0. Michael Coalter paid a rent of £0-5-0 for his house. James Bourke paid a total rent of £3-10-0 for 0 acres 3 roods 32 perches of herd’s house and land. The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Ballydavid Middle was £50-15-0 for 201 acres 0 roods 7 perches of herd’s house, offices, and land.
There was only one household in Ballydavid Middle in 1901. The census was collected on the 11th of April 1901. Samuel Stokes (47) was the head of the family, and his occupation is recorded as a game keeper. He was married to Sarah (46) and they lived with their 5 children Adelene (23), Florence (11), Patrick (10), Alice (9) and Michael (8). All were members of the family were Roman Catholic except for Samuel who was Church of Ireland. Samuel was born in Essex, England, where as Sarah and Adelene were born in Armagh. The rest of the family were born in Galway. All members of the household could read and write but they could not speak Irish. The house was a private dwelling. Mark K. Clarke owned the land upon which the house was situated. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while the roof was made of thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. They had no farm steadings.
There were 2 households in Ballydavid Middle in 1911. There was a population of 8 people, 5 males and 3 females. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The census forms which were collected on the 3rd of April 1911 showed that all houses were built as private dwellings. The house walls were made of stone, brick or concrete while each house roof was made of thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. Overall, there were 7 farm buildings: 2 stables, 2 cow houses, 2 piggeries and 1 shed. The heads of the households were John Flaherty and Thomas Feeny.
John Flaherty (72) was a farmer. He was a widower who lived with his daughter Norah (34), who’s occupation was listed as farmer’s daughter. He also lived with his sons Michael (28) and Patrick (26) and granddaughter Norie (2). Both of his son’s occupations were recorded as farmer’s sons. All members of the family spoke English and Irish except for Norie. Norah was the only member of the household who could read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. John Flaherty owned the land upon which the house was built along with a stable, cow house, piggery and shed.
Thomas Feeny (38) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (24).They lived with their son Peter (3 months). At the time of the 1911 census, they had been married for 1 year and had 1 child, 1 of whom was still alive in 1911. Both Thomas and Bridget could read and write. They also both spoke English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 front windows. Thomas Feeny owned the land upon which the house was built along with a stable, cow house and piggery.