Caraunduff

Civil parish of Athenry

Anna Bourke/ Galway County Council Heritage Office

Caraunduff

An Cárán Dubh, Caraunduff 

Caraunduff is situated 3 miles W. S.W of Athenry, bounded on the North and West by Knocknacreeva and Caherbriskaun, South by Tubberruah East and on East by Rathmorrissy. 

The Down Survey map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711. 

O’Donovan’s Field Name books provide various spellings of this townland: Caraunduff, Carán Dubh, Cauraundhu B. S. Sketch Map, Carrandugh Barony Map, Ullarbeg and Carravanew County Book, Carrane& Faravane High Constable 1838, Carranduff Inq. Temp. Gul. III, Carranduff Inq. Temp. Jac. I. 

Griffith’s Valuation  

According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Walter Lambert leased a tenement to John H. Blake. John H. Blake paid £19-0-0 in tax for 103 acres, 2 roods, and 3 perches of land.  

1901 Census 

There were 3 households in Carranduff in 1901. 3 individuals were listed as head of household. A total of 11 inhabitants were recorded, 6 male and 5 female. All the residents in this townland were from County Galway and Roman Catholic. The census forms which were collected on the 8th of April showed that all the houses, but one was inhabited and were private dwellings. The one uninhabited house lay on Wm Loughnane’s land. All of the walls of the houses were made from stone, brick, or concrete while the roofs were made from thatch, wood, or another perishable material.  

Patrick Reynolds (80) was a married farmer. He lived with his wife Catherine (60), single son John (36), and single servant James Coyne (17). All of the Reynolds could read and write, while James could read-only. James was listed as a labourer while Catherine and John were listed as a farmer’s wife and son. Patrick and his wife could speak Irish and English. No language was listed for John or James suggesting they spoke English only. All four lived in a 2nd class house, with 4 rooms and 3 front windows. Patrick Reynolds owned the land his house, stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed resided on.  

Thomas Fohey [SIC] (59) was a farmer. He lived with his wife Margaret (54), and 2 single daughters Honoria (25) and Ellen (20). Thomas and Margaret could speak both Irish and English while their daughters spoke English only. They lived together in a 1 roomed, 3rd class house with 3 front windows. There was one person in this family who was sick on 31st March, 1901. Thomas Fohey owned the land his house, stable, cow house, shed, and piggery dwelled on.  

Michael Burke (79) was a widowed farmer. He resided with his son Thomas (35) a farmer, and daughter Mary (25) a seamstress. Both of his children were single, and although Michael and Thomas spoke Irish and English, Mary spoke English only. They dwelled in a 3rd class house, with 1 room and 2 front windows. Michael owned the holdings his house, cow house, piggery, and shed1 was built on.   

1911 Census 

There were 3 households in Caraunduff in 1911. There were 10 inhabitants, 5 were male and 5 were female. All the occupants were Roman Catholic and originated from County Galway. The heads of households were: John Shiel, Michael Burke, John Reynolds and Maria Kelly2. The census forms, which were collected on the 14th April 1911 in the Kilmeen region, showed that all the houses were listed as private dwellings. The census form, which was collected on the 6th April 1911 in the Aughrim region, showed that the house was listed as a private dwelling. Each house roof in Kilmeen was made of thatch, wood, or another perishable material, while all of the walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete. In Aughrim the walls of the house were made from perishable material while the roof was made from slate, iron or tiles.  

John Shiel (40) was a married farmer. His wife Ellen (33) had been married to him for 7 years at the time of the census and together they had 3 children, all 3 of which were still living. They lived with their son Thomas (6), 2 daughters Mary Margaret (5) and Delia (1) and Ellen’s widowed mother Margaret Fahy (74). Thomas and Mary Margaret were listed as scholars. Margaret was able to speak both Irish and English. No language was listed for anyone else in the family, suggesting they spoke English only. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 front windows. John Shiel owned the land his house, cow house, and piggery resided on.  

Michael Burke (87) was a widowed farmer. He resided with his son Thomas (45) and daughter Mary (32). Thomas was listed as a farmer’s son. Both Thomas and Mary were single and able to read and write, while Michael could not read. Thomas and his father could speak both Irish and English and no language was listed for Mary suggesting she spoke English only. Michael was listed in the census as being deaf. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. Michael owned the holdings his house, stable, cow house, and piggery dwelled on.  

John Reynolds (50) was a single farmer who lived alone. He was able to read and write and spoke Irish and English. He lived in a 3 roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. He owned the land that his house, barn, cow house, and stable was built on.  

Maria Kelly (35) was not listed under any employment in the census. She was a widow and lived with her 2 single sons Patrick (12) and Michael (8), along with 2 daughters Mary (11) and Sarah (9 months). All but the baby could read and write, and the 3 older children were scholars. Maria was able to speak both Irish and English while no language was listed for the rest of the children suggesting they spoke English only. They lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Maria owned the land her house, stable, cow house, calf house, and piggery resided on.  

This page was added on 03/03/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *