Mountain West is situated 4½ miles N.W. of Athenry, bounded on the West by Oranmore parish, South by Derrydonnelbeg and West and North by Derrydonnel N.
It is the property of Mr. Bodkin, containing 198 statute acres, 1/6 th of which is rocks and uncultivated heathy pasture. It is bounded on the South by the road from Dublin to Galway 17 chains North of which and 1 chain from its West boundary is a graveyard called Lisrougheen, and a part near its S.E. angle is subject to winter floods.
The Down Survey map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provide various spellings of this townland: Mountain West, An Sliabh, Mountain West B.S. Sketch Map, Mountain Partly included in Derrydonnell Vestry Book 1826.
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Robert Bodkin leased tenements to William and Anthony Freney [SIC], Denis Hogan, Thomas Sullivan, Timothy Ford, and Michael Mullen. Anthony Freney also leased tenements to Catherine Kelly and William Freney leased to James Mack. Mid G.W. Railway Co. was cited as being ‘in Fee’. In fee were freehold tenures, derived from a grant from the crown.
William Freney paid £12-0-0 in tax for houses, offices, and land of 156 acres he shared with Anthony Freney [SIC] who paid £14-10-0 in tax. Catherine Kelly’s house cost her £0-3-0 in tax. James Mack’s house and garden of 3 roods and 10 perches cost him £0-10-0. Denis Hogan paid £4-10-0 in tax for his house office and land of 21 acres, 3 roods, and 23 perches. Thomas Sullivan’s house and land of 12 acres, 1 rood, and 10 perches cost him £2-15-0. The Mid. G. W. Railway Co.’s Railway 72 line encompassed 2 acres, 1 rood, and 27 perches, and cost £1-0-0. Timothy Ford and Michael Mullen both paid £0-15-0 each for Timothy’s Caretaker house, office, and land, and Michael’s House and land both combined to produce 4 acres, 2 roods, and 34 perches.
There were 6 households in Mountain West in 1901. 5 individuals were listed as head of household. A total of 25 inhabitants were recorded, 12 male and 13 female. All the residents in this townland were from County Galway and Roman Catholic. The census forms which were collected on the 3rd of April showed that all the houses were inhabited and were private dwellings but Honor Mullin’s, which was uninhabited. All of the walls of the houses were made from stone, brick or concrete. The roofs were made from thatch, wood, or another perishable material.
Denis Sullivan (60) was a farmer. He was married to Bridget (50) and lived with his 2 agricultural labourer, single sons Thomas (20) and Patrick (18). Only Patrick was able to read and write the rest of the inhabitance could not. Everyone spoke both Irish and English. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with 1 front window. Denis owned the land his house piggery, and fowl house resided.
Michael Freaney [SIC] (40) was listed in the census as a farmer. He was married to Honor (30) and lived with her along with his daughters Mary (13), Julia (8), Maggie (6), and Winifred (5), sons Anthony (12), Michael (10), and William (1), along with his single brother-in-law Martin Hynes (26) an agricultural labourer. Martin, Anthony, Mary, and Honor were able to read and write., while Michael (10) and Julia could read only. Everyone in the house spoke both Irish and English but William, on account of his age. They inhabited a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 front windows. Michael owned the terrain in which his house resided, along with his stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed.
Thomas Freaney [SIC] (38) was a farmer. His wife Bridget (29) lived with him and their son Michael (4), daughter Mary (3) and Bridget (1), their nephew John Kirnen [SIC] (3), and widowed domestic servant Mary Keane (40). Only Bridget (29) was able to read and write in the house. Only the 3 adults were able to speak both Irish and English, there was no languages listed for the rest of the children suggesting they spoke English only. They dwelled within a 3-roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Thomas owned the holdings his house, shed, barn, piggery, cow house, and stable were situated.
Catherine Egan (75) was a Gatekeeper on the Railway. She was a widow and lived with her grandson John Freaney (3). Neither could read and write but both spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. Thomas Freaney owned the land her house resided.
Bridget Forde (60) was an unmarried, blind farmer. She lived with her daughter Bridget (40). She could not read or write but her daughter could read-only. They both could speak Irish and English. They dwelled within a 2-roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. She owned the land her house was built on.
There were 5 households in Mountain West in 1911. There were 18 inhabitants, 10 were male and 8 were female. All the occupants were Roman Catholic and originated from County Galway. The heads of households were: Michael Freeney, Denis Sulllivan, and Thomas Freeney. The census forms, which were collected on the 5th April 1911, showed that all the houses were listed as private dwellings. Out of the 5 houses in this townland 2 were uninhabited on Patrick Madden and High Higgin’s land. Each house roof was made of thatch, wood, or another perishable material, while all of the walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete.
Michael Freeney [SIC] (65) was a married farmer. He had been married to Honor for 26 years during which time they had 11 children, 10 of which were still alive in 1911. They lived with their sons Anthony (20), Michael (18), Edward (9), and Rodger (8), and daughters Julia (15), Winifred (13), and Norah (4). Everyone was able to read and write but Michael (65) and Norah who could do neither and Rodger who could read only. Anthony and Michael (18) were listed as labourers and Winifred, Edward and Rodger were listed as scholars. Everyone spoke both Irish and English but the 2 youngest children. All 9 lived in a 3 roomed, 2nd class house with 3 front windows. Michael owned the land his house resided along with a stable, cow house, piggery, fowl house, and barn.
Denis Sullivan (70) was a married farmer. Bridget (68) had been married to him for 41 years and had 6 children together, 5 of which were still alive in 1911. They lived with their unmarried son Thomas (32) a labourer. No one was able to read or write, and everyone spoke both Irish and English. They resided in a 2 roomed, 3rd class house with 2 front windows. Denis owned the holdings his house, piggery, fowl house, and 1 other unknown farm steeding resided.
Thomas Freeney (52) was a married farmer. He had been married to Bridget (44) for 15 years at the time of the census. They lived with their 2 daughters Mary (13) and Delia (11), their son Michael (14) and nephew John Tiernan [SIC] (15). Everyone could read and write but Thomas and John. Only the 2 parents were able to speak both Irish and English. There was no language listed for any of the children suggesting they spoke English only. All 4 children were listed in the census as being scholars. They inhabited a 3rd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Thomas owned the terrain in which his house resided along with his stable, an