Ballydavid South is situated in the civil parish of Athenry. It is 1 mile North of Athenry bounded on the North by Ballydavid middle, on the West by Parkmakle, and South by Cullairbaun and Cahirrowan townlands.
The Downs survey map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O’Donovan’s Field Name books provide various spellings of this townland: Ballydavid South or New Village, Ballydavid South B.S.Sketch Map, Ballydavid Barony Map, Ballydavid County Map, Ballydavid South or New Village Vestry Book 1826.
The Tithe Applotment books show that Tho [SIC] Murry occupied 117 acres of land. He paid £4 9s 4 ½ d in tax. The half-yearly payments were £2-4s-8 ¼ d. The Tithes were calculated using pounds, shillings, and pence.
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Stephen Roche was a tenant. His land was held ‘in Fee’. In fee were freehold tenures, derived from a grant from the Crown. He paid £131-5-0 for 477 acres, 3 roods, and 32 perches for his land, office, and herd’s house.
There was 1 household in Ballydavid South in 1901. There was also 1 individual who was listed as head of household. A total of 4 inhabitants were recorded, 2 male and 2 female. All residents in this townland were from County Galway and Roman Catholic. The census forms which were collected on the 1st of April showed that the only house was an inhabited, private dwelling. The house’s walls were built from stone, brick, or concrete and the roof was formed from slate, iron, or tiles.
Honoria Kilkelly (60) was a widowed sheepherder. She resided with her son Francis (22), daughter Julia, (17), and servant Patrick Walsh (21). While Honoria and her servant spoke both Irish and English her two children spoke only English. Francis’s occupation was written as an agricultural farm servant, his sister a general domestic servant, while Patrick was noted as an agricultural labourer. Francis and Julia were able to read and write, Honoria could read-only, and Patrick could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and 4 rooms. John Kinnear [SIC] owned the land her house and 3 out-offices and/ farm steadings resided on.
There were 2 households in Ballydavid South in 1911. There were 9 inhabitants, 4 were male and 5 were female. All the occupants were Roman Catholic and originated from County Galway. The heads of households were: Margaret Kindregan and John Kilkelly. The census forms, which were collected on the 8th April 1911, showed that both houses were listed as private dwellings. Each house roof was made of slate, iron, or tiles, while both of their walls were made from stone, brick, or concrete.
Margaret Kindregan (60) was a widowed farmer who couldn’t read. She lived with her 3 single children who were all able to read and write. Her 2 son’s John (29) and Tom (19) were listed as farmers’ sons, while her daughter Anne (22) was not allocated an occupation in the census. Both John and Margaret spoke both Irish and English. The 4 lived together in a 5 room, 2nd class house with 5 front-facing windows. Margret Kindregan owned the property her house, cow house, piggery, and barn were situated on.
John Kilkelly (33) was listed as a farmer in the 1911 census. He was married to Catherine (38) for one year and lived with his mother Honoria (72), brother Francis (30) who was a cricket professional, and sister Julia (26). Everyone could read and write but Honoria, who could only read. All in the house spoke only English but Honoria who spoke both Irish and English. They resided in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and 4 rooms. John Kilkelly owned the land his house was situated on, along with a stable, cow house, piggery, and fowl house.