Castle Ellen it is 2 ¾ miles North/Northwest of Athenry, bounded on the North by Monivea Parish, East by Loughaunenaghaun, South by Fahy’s Village and West by Saint Ellen and Pullagh townlands.
The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre Cromwell) under the name Glanekebey states that the owner was Sir Richard Blake (Catholic). The Down Survey Map 1670 (post Cromwell) states the owner was Robert Blake (Protestant). There was 251 plantation acres of unprofitable land and 114 plantation acres of profitable land.
O’Donovan’s Field Name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Castle Ellen
Caisleán Eibhlín, Castle Ellen, Castleellin, Castle Ellin and Castle Ellen. Captain Lambert is the proprietor and contains 379½ statute acres and forms part of the Demesne of the Proprietors. Near the centre of the townland stands the castle or residence of the Proprietor, and at 7 chains S.W. of it is the ruins of an old castle . The road from Athenry to Claregalway forms its western bounds and its general surface varies from 169 to 194 feet above the level of the sea.
Peter Lambert held 140 acres of land worth £6-3-1 ½. Loret B. Hreiceh held 130 acres of land worth £3-5-1 ½. Wm Fierney held 14 acres of land worth £0-6-6. James Ferney held 7 acres of land worth £0-3-3. Michael Haise held 14 acres of land worth £0-6-6. Byran Quinn held 7 acres of land worth £3-3-2. Michael Cusack held 16 acres of land worth £0-8-0. Byran Fahy held 47 acres of land worth £1-3-6. Patt Fahy held 2 acres of land worth £0-1-0. Patt Farrell held 3 acres of land worth £0-1-6. John Haverty held 4 acres of land worth £0-2-0. John Howard held 14 ½ acres of land worth £0-7-3. Martin Howard held 3 acres of land worth £0-1-6. Loughlin Fleming held 3 acres of land worth £0-1-6. Thady Cahulan held 4 acres of land worth £0-2-1.
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Walter P. Lambert held 378 acres 0 roods 14 perches of house, office, and land in fee worth £171-10-0. He also leased tenements to Patrick Wall. He paid £1-5-0 for 1 acre 2 roods 20 perches of house and land.
In 1901 Castle Ellen had a population of 20 people, 10 females and 10 males. There were 3 dwellings all of which were inhabited. The census was collected on the 8th of April. The walls of each dwelling were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each household was made of slate, iron, tile, thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. Overall, there was a total of 28 farm buildings. There were 3 heads of households Jane Maxwell, Patrick Cahalan and Andrew Boyd.
Jane Maxwell (41) was a cook and domestic servant. She was born in Co. Dublin. She lived with 4 servants. Sara Anne Watts (22) was a housemaid domestic servant born in Co. Kilkenny. Johanna Hunt (22) was a kitchen maid and domestic servant born in New Ross. Michael Claney (31) was a coachman and domestic servant born in Co. Galway. Matthias Cusack (19) was a stableman and domestic servant born in Co. Galway. All members of the household were Roman Catholic apart from Sara Anne who was a member of the Irish Church. All occupants could read and write apart from Michael who could not read. Only Michael and Matthias could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 1st class house with 6 rooms and 9 windows in the front. Mary Lambert owned the land upon which the house was built along with 4 stables, 2 coach houses, 1 harness room, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 4 piggeries, 1 fowl house, 1 boiling house, 1 barn, 2 turf houses, 1 workshop, 1 laundry, 1 oil house, 1 clerk [sic] office and 1 engine house.
Patrick Cahalan (80) was a widowed sheep herder and farmer. He lived with his son Mike (55) who was also a sheep herder and farmer. He was married to Honoria (55) who was a housewife. They also lived with their 5 children Mary (17), John (15), Pat (14), Kate (10) and Thomas (8). Mary was a seamstress, and the remainder of children were scholars. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. All members of the family could read and write apart from Patrick (80). All members of the household could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick Cahalan owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.
Andrew Boyd (56) was a gardener married to Jane (55). They were both born in Co. Down. They lived with their 5 children John (22), Jane (18), Esther (14), Agnes (12) and Henry (11). John was also a gardener, and the rest of the children were scholars. All the children were born in Co. Wicklow. All occupants could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Andrew Boyd owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 turf house.
There were 2 dwellings in Castle Ellen in 1911, all of which were inhabited. There was a total population of 11 people, 6 males and 5 females. All members of the townland were Roman Catholic. The census was collected on the 3rd of April 1911. The walls of each dwelling were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each household was made of slate, iron or tile. Overall, there was 36 farm buildings. The heads of households were Michael Cahalan and Neillie Reynolds.
Michael Cahalan (62) was a farmer married to Norah (58). They lived with their 5 children John (25), Pat (23), Kate (20), Thomas (18) and Michael (10). All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. They could also all read and write and speak Irish and English. John, Pat, and Thomas were farmers sons and Michael was a scholar. They lived in 2nd class house with 4 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Michael Cahalan owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 shed.
Nellie Reynolds (28) was a domestic cook born in Co. Meath. She lived with Mary McDonnell (19) who was a domestic housemaid born in Co. Mayo, Margaret Muloney (17) who was a kitchen maid born in Co. Galway and Michael Clancy (42) who was a coachman born in Co. Galway. All occupants were Roman Catholic. All members of the house could read and write apart from Michael. Only Mary could speak Irish as well as English.
Add a comment about this page