Ballyglass

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello-Heritage Office Galway County Council

Ballyglass

An Baile Glas, townland, town, homestead, green,

Ballyglass is situated in the Barony of Clare and near the northern extremity of Lackagh Parish, bounded on the North by Ballybrone, East by Derrymacloghna, South Common, Parish of Lackagh, West by Lackaghmore, Parish of Lackagh.

The Down Survey Map has no information available regarding this townland.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855 shows no record regarding this townland.

O’Donovan’s Field Name books 1838 provides various spellings of this townland: Ballyglass, Baile Glas, Buolleglass, Baolleglass and Balla Glas. The proprietors are the family of Burkes. About ½ tillage, the remainder pasture. A leading crossroad passes through its Southeast side.

The Tithe Applotment Books

Peter Hughes held 60 acres of land and paid a tax of £1-10-0. Rob Hughes held 18 and a half acres and paid a tax of £0-9-3. The tithes were calculated using pounds, shillings, and pence.

1901 Census

There were 7 households in Ballyglass in 1901, all of which were inhabited. There was a total population of 34 people, 17 males and 17 females. All inhabitants of Ballyglass were born in County Galway and all were Roman Catholic.  There were 5 houses listed as private dwelling and 2 shops. The walls were all made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was made of thatch, wood, or some perishable material. There was as total of 35 farm steadings, consisting of 7 stables, 1 couch house, 5 cow houses, 1 calf house, 7 piggeries, 3 fowl houses, 4 barns, 1 potato house and 6 sheds. The heads of the households were as follows: Patrick Dolly, Michael Murphy, Bridget Murphy, James Murphy, Kate Murphy, Patrick O’Shaughnessy and Patrick Murray. The census was collected on the 1st of April 1901.

Patrick Dolly (56) was a farmer who lived with his sister Bridget (34) who was a housemaid. He also lived with his nephew William (21) who worked as an assistant and his niece Kathleen (10) who was a scholar. All members of the household could read and write. They all spoke English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick Dolly owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 1 shed.

Michael Murphy (58) was a farmer who lived with his wife Bridget (28), sons Thomas (30) and James (26) and daughters Bridget (6), Mary T (4), and Margaret (2). It is recorded that Michael was a widow which would suggest he was previously married. The four eldest members of the household could speak English and Irish and read and write. There is no language recorded for the youngest three members and it is also stated that they could not read. Thomas was a farmer’s son, James was a tailor and Bridget (6) and Mary T were scholars. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 2 piggeries, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

Bridget Murphy (63) was a widowed farmer who lived with her unmarried son Laurence (32) who was also a farmer. They could both speak English and Irish and could both read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Bridget Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 piggery,1 cow house, 1 fowl house, 1 barn, 1 potato house and 2 sheds.

James Murphy (22) was a farmer who lived with his sisters Honoria (28) and Margaret (16) who was a scholar. James and Honoria spoke English and Irish. They could all read and write.  They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. James Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed.

Kate Murphy (46) was a widowed farmer who lived with her 4 children Thomas (17), Walter (16), Michael (15) and Mary (14). All her children were scholars. All members of the household could read and write. Kate, Thomas and Walter could speak English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Kate Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 piggery and 1 shed.

Patrick O’Shaughnessy (28) was a shopkeeper and farmer. Walter Murphy (18) was a labourer and Larry Cannon (16) was a shop assistant.  They could all speak English and Irish and were all able to read and write.  It was a 2nd class dwelling with 3 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick O’Shaughnessy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 2 stables, 1 piggery and 1 shed.

Patrick Murray (38) was a licenced publican married to Delia (36). They lived with their children Katie (16), Mary (14), John (11), Maggey (15), Michael (10), Patrick (8), Ellin (4) and Delia (3). All the children were scholars apart from Ellin and Delia. All members of the household spoke English and Irish. They also could all read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 6 front facing windows. Patrick Murray owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl and 1 barn.

1911 Census

There were 7 dwellings in Ballyglass during the 1911 census, all of which were inhabited. There was a total population of 47 people, 19 male and 28 females. All inhabitants were Roman Catholic. All members of the population were also born in Galway except for two which born in Mayo, Maggie O’Shaughessy and Bridget Murphy. There was 5 private dwellings and 2 Public Houses. The walls were all made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was made of thatch, wood, some perishable material, slate, iron, or tile. There was a total of 38 farm steadings consisting of 7 stables, 1 coach house, 6 cow houses, 5 calf houses, 4 piggeries, 3 fowl houses, 6 barns, 4 sheds and 2 stores. There were seven heads of households: Patrick Dolly, Michael Murphy, John Duffy, James Murphy, Patrick Shaughessy, Patrick Murray, and Kate Murphy. The census was collected on the 5th of April 1911.

Patrick Dolly (71) was a farmer who lived with his sister Bridget (47) and niece Kathleen (18). All members of the household could read and write and speak English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick Dolly owned the land upon with the house was situated along with 1 stable,1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 barn and 1 shed.

Michael Murphy (69) was a widowed farmer who lived with this son Thomas (43),daughter in law Delia (40) and grand daughters Delia (15), Mary Jane (13), Maggie (10), Rose Ann (6) and Katie (4). Thomas and Delia had been married for 15 years in 1911. They had 5 children, 5 of whom were still alive by the time of the 1911 census. Thomas was a farmer’s son and Mary Jane; Maggie and Rose Ann were all scholars. All members of the household were able to speak English and Irish apart from Katie and Rose Ann. All members of the household were also able to read and write apart from Katie. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house,1 calf house, 1 fowl house and 1 barn.

John Duffy (32) was a shepherd married to Margaret (36). In 1911, they had been married for 10 years. They had 6 children, 6 of whom were still alive come 1911. They lived with their 6 children Mary (7), Bridgie (6), Thomas (5), Margaret (4), Celia (2) and Patrick (2 months). Mary and Bridgie were scholars. Only John and Margaret could speak English and Irish. There is no language listed for the rest of the household, suggesting they only spoke English. John, Thomas, Margaret (4) Celia and Patrick could not read, Margaret (36), Mary and Bridgie could read and write. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Laurence Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery and 1 shed.

James Murphy (34) was a farmer married to Margaret (40). They lived with their 4 children William (9), Mary (6), James (3), and Norah (11 months). William and Mary were scholars. In 1911, James and Margaret had been married for 10 years. They had 5 children, 4 of whom were still living in 1911. James, Margaret and William could all speak English and Irish. James and William could read and write. Mary, James, and Norah could not read. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. James Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 barn and 1 shed.

Patrick Shaughnessy  (44) was married to Maggie (41). They both worked as farmers and shop keepers. In 1911, they had been married for 10 years. They had 6 children, 6 of whom were still alive in 1911. There was also visitor the night of the census, Patrick’s sister-in-law Bridget Murphy (62). They lived with their 6 children Maria (9), James (7), Bride (5), Kathleen (4), Patrick Joseph (2) and Ellen (8 months). They also lived with Katie Higgins who was a cook and domestic servant (17). All the children apart from Ellen were scholars.  All members of the household spoke English and Irish apart from Katie and Ellen. Patrick, Maggie, Bridget, and Katie could all read and write. Maria could read and the rest of the household could not read. They lived in a 1st class house with 4 rooms and 7 windows in the front. Patrick Shaughnessy owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 coach house, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn, 1 shed and 1 store.

Patrick Murray (50) was a farmer and publican married to Delia (46). In 1911, they had been married for 28 years. They had 10 children, 8 of whom were still alive in 1911. They lived with their 5 children, Michael (19), Patrick (18), Ellen (14), Bridget (12) and Mary A (23). They also lived with their two grandchildren Thomas C (2) and Patrick J (1 month). Michael, Patrick, Ellen and Bridget were all farmers. All members of the household could read and write and speak English and Irish apart from Thomas C and Patrick J. In 1911, Mary A was married for 3 years. She had 2 children, 2 of which were still alive in 1911. They lived in a 2nd class house with 3 rooms and 6 front facing windows. Patrick Murray owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 piggery, 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 fowl house and 1 store.

Kate Murphy (66) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her two sons Walter (25) and Michael (24). Walter was a stone mason and Michael was a farmer. Kate could not read but Michael and Walter could read and write. All members of the household could speak English and Irish. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Kate Murphy owned the land upon which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

 

This page was added on 23/02/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *