Kingsland North

Civil Parish of Athenry

Nuala King, Athenry Active Retirement / Heritage Office Galway County Council

Kingsland North

Kingsland North

Nuala King, Athenry Active Retirement / Heritage Office Galway County Council

Kingsland North is in the Civil Parish of Athenry

Standard Name: Kingsland

Irish Form: Talamh a Rígh

Translation: land of the king

Other forms of the Name: Kingsland

Talamh a’ Rígh

Thollaghree

Situation

Kingsland North is situated in the Barony of Athenry, half a mile North East of Athenry town, bounded on the North by Caherroyan East, by Poulaghhoppul the South by Kingsland South, and West by Gurteenacre and Caherroyan.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Book

Records from this source (1860’s) list Kingsland North as the property of Lord Oranmore, containing 90 and a half Statute acres, all under tillage. Its average rent is 12 to 15 shillings per acre.

These townlands share a border with Kingsland North townland:

Athenry

Baunmore

Gorteenacra

Kingsland South

It is bounded on the South by the road from Athenry to Kiltulla.

The Down Survey Map (1641 pre-Cromwell; 1670 post Cromwell) 

The map of this Barony was destroyed in 1711. No copies have, so far, come to light.

The Down Survey Name is Ahrim. The pre-Cromwell Owner was Sir Richard Blake (Catholic) and the post-Cromwell Owner was Sir Thomas Newcomen (Protestant)

Griffith’s Valuation (1855) records the occupiers as:

John Hanly

Patrick Hanley jun.

Patrick Hanly sen.

John Hanly and Patrick Hanly jun.

Patrick Hanly sen.

The Immediate Lessors were the Directors of the Alliance Insurance Co.

The total land area was 90 Acres and 3 Roods. The rateable annual valuation of the land was £40 and of the buildings £2.15s.

The description of the tenement was Land, House, Out-office, and Cottier’s house with a total annual rateable valuation of £42.15s.

The Tithe Applotment Books (1827)

The Tithe Applotment Book (Rental Applotment Valuation) has an entry for Kingsland but not specifically Kingsland North. Five people are listed:

Martin Broderick, 6 Acres having 9s 04d annual levy

Patrick Fitzpatrick, 12 Acres having 18s. 9d annual levy

John Clasby, 60 Acres having £2.17.01 annual levy

Edward Lynsky 62 Acres having £2.8.9 annual levy

Thady Hanley 54 Acres £2.16.3 annual levy

Those levies were imposed by the ‘Irish Church’ that being ‘The Church of Ireland’.

Census 1901

No records of Census prior to 1901 could be found for Kingsland North. In 1901 there were 2 dwelling houses in Kingsland, each one a private dwelling and inhabited. There were 9 people, 6 males, and 3 females. All were Roman Catholics. Census night was Sunday 31st March 1901 and forms were collected on 1st April 1901. Sgt. M. Davis was the enumerator.

The 2 houses had walls that were made of stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material. Houses were classed by the construction type, number of rooms, and front windows and went from Class 1 to Class 4. Each of the houses had 3 rooms and 3 front windows and were class two houses.

The Heads of the Households were Bridget Hanly and Julia Broderick.

Hanly’s Bridget Hanly aged 65 was Head of the Family, a farmer, and a widow. She could not read or write. Her son Thomas (40) a farmer, unmarried, could read and write; Patrick Hanly (31) farmer, unmarried and able to read and write; Thomas Connolly (9), a grandson and scholar, completed the household.  The 3 adults spoke Irish and English.

Broderick’s Julia Broderick, aged 40, was Head of the Family, a widow, she described herself as a farmer’s wife. She could read and write and spoke Irish and English. Her 3 sons and 1 daughter lived with her, Martin (12), James (10), Peter (8), and Bridie (4), and they were scholars.

1911 Census

Constable J. Carroll was the enumerator of the census taken on Sunday 2nd April 1911. The forms were collected on 12th April 2011. Two dwelling houses are listed, with 9 people living in the townland, four males and five females, all Roman Catholics. The Heads of the Households were Thomas Hanly and Edward Kennedy. The 2 houses were made of brick or stone and the roof of each was made of thatch, wood, or other perishable material. Each of the houses had 3 front windows and each family occupied 3 rooms. They were second-class houses.

Hanly’s Thomas Hanly aged 50 was Head of the Family, his wife of 7 years, Bridget aged 38, daughters Delia (6) Norah Mary (5) son John (3) and nephew Thomas Connolly (18), farmer’s son, unmarried, completed the household. The adults could read and write. They were all born in Co. Galway. There were 3 children born alive and 3 still living.  There were 4 out-offices, a stable, cowhouse, piggery and fowl-house.

Kennedy’s Edmond Kennedy (49), a farmer was Head of the Family, his wife Mary (35) and daughter May (1) completed the household. The 2 adults could read and write and Edmond spoke Irish and English. Kennedy’s had 3 out-offices or farm steadings – a stable, cowhouse and piggery.

This page was added on 25/08/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *