Bareets parke (sic) is situated 4 miles West of Athenry, bounded in the North by Moor and Cashla, West by Carnmore, South by Lisheenkyle and E. by Caherbriskaun.
The Down Survey Map provides no record of this townland and indicates the map of the barony of Athenry was destroyed in 1711.
O Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings of this townland: Barretts Parke, Baarretts Parke B. S. Sketch Map, Called Ballybrit and Creglea Vestry Book 1826
According to Griffith’s Valuation 1855, Walter Lambert leased tenements to John Kearney, Edmund Burke, and Thomas Nieland. John Kearney and Edmund Burke both paid rent of £5-10-0 for 150 acres 1 rood, and 34 perches. Thomas Nieland (sic) also paid £13-10-0 for land, house and offices comprised of 101 acres, 1 rood, and 7 perches. The total annual valuation of rateable property paid overall in Barrets parke was £24-10-0 for 251 acres, 3 roods, and 1 perch.
There was 1 household in Barrets parke in 1901. There was 5 individuals 3 male and 2 female. The census forms which were collected April 9th 1901 showed that the house was built as a private dwelling and indicated that it was inhabited, walls built from stone, brick, or concrete and roof from a perishable material. Everyone was Roman Catholic and were born in County Galway.
Michael Connell (40) was a farmer. He was married to Mary (36) and together they had a son Willian (5). They also resided with 2 servants Maria Leonard (50) a general domestic servant and Thomas O’Neill (20) a farm labourer. No one in the house is able to read or write and all but William and Thomas speak both Irish and English. The 5 of them lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Michael also owns the land his house resides on along with a cow house, piggery, and barn.
There was 1 household in Barrets parke in 1911. There were 9 inhabitants, 6 were male and 3 were female. The birthplace of all the residents was County Galway and all were Roman Catholic. There was one head of household Michael Connell. The census forms were collected on the 11th April and showed a single, private dwelling.
Michael Connell (55) was a farmer who at the time of the census had been married to his wife Mary for 19 years. They had 8 children, 5 boys residing with them Thomas (16), William (15), Michael (11), Patrick (9), and Martin (7) along with 2 girls Delia (17) and Mary (5). Thomas and William were listed as farmer’s sons while Michael and Patrick were scholars. Michael (55), his wife Mary and eldest daughter Delia were able to speak both Irish and English, but the rest of the family were not included suggesting they spoke English only. The Oldest 5 children were able to read and write while the rest of the family were unable to. The family of 9 lived in a 2nd class house, with 3 rooms and 3 front-facing windows. Michael Connell owned the land his house was built along with a stable, cow house, piggery, barn, and shed.