Gloves Middle

Civil Parish of Athenry

India Costello/Heritage Office Galway County Council

Gloves Middle

Na Glaimhe Láir, Gloves Middle

Gloves Middle was situated 2¼ miles E. N.E. of Athenry, bounded on the N. and N.W. by Monivea Parish, East by Kiltulla and South by do, and West by Gloves West.

The Down Survey Map 1641 (pre-Cromwell) under the name Gloes states that the owner was Walter Browne (Catholic). The Down Survey Map 1670 (post-Cromwell) states that the owner is Samuell Ffoxon (Protestant).

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings for this townland Gloves
Globha (hardly Irish) and Gloves Middle. This source also states that it is the property of Mr. Browne containing 216½ statute acres 3/5 ths. of which is cultivated, the remainder dry bog. 40 acres in its Southwest angle forms a small park or Demesne in which stands Gloves House, the residence of Minor Browne. Its general surface varies from 184 to 232 feet above the sea at low water.

Griffith’s Valuation 1855

Mark Loughnane leased tenements to the following tenants: John Jennings, Michael Mooney, Thomas Broderick, Patrick McDonagh, Thomas White and Michael Kane.

John Jennings paid a total of £2-5-0 for 6 acres 2 roods 8 perches of house, office, and land. Michael Mooney paid a total of £2-10-0 for 8 acres 3 roods 10 perches of house, office, and land. Thomas Broderick paid a total of £1-5-0 for 3 acres 2 roods 31 perches for house and land. Patrick McDonagh paid a total of £2-0-0 for 7 acres 1 rood 34 perches of house and land. Thomas White paid a total of £1-5-0 for 2 acres 3 roods 16 perches of house, office, and land. Michael Kane paid a total of £1-0-0 for 2 acres 3 roods 26 perches of house and land. Mark Loughnane kept 184 acres 1 rood 29 perches of house, offices, and land worth £59-15-0 in fee.

1901 Census

In the 1901 census, there was 2 Enumerator’s abstract forms for Gloves Middle. There was also no record of farm steadings and offices.

Enumerators form 1

There were 7 private dwellings recorded all of which were inhabited. There was a population of 37 people, 21 males and 16 females. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was thatch, wood, or some other perishable material, apart from house 7 which was from slate, iron or tile. The heads of households were as follows, Patrick Connor, Mary Brodrick, Michael Jennings, John Healy, John Flaherty, James Nolan and Michael J Monaghan.

Patrick Connor (50) was a farmer married to Mary (40). They lived with their 5 children Thomas (21), Bridget (19), Patrick (17), Julia (7), Nora (6) and Patrick’s sister Ellen (70). Thomas was an agricultural labourer, and the rest of the children were scholars. Ellen was a dressmaker. Mary, Thomas, Bridget, and Patrick (50) could all read and write. Ellen could not read, and the remainder of the household could read only. Only Patrick (50), Mary and Ellen could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built.

Mary Brodrick (50) was a widowed farmer. He lived with his 4 children Peter (22), Michael (20), John (18) and Thomas (11). Mary could not read but the rest of the house could read and write. The 3 eldest members of the household could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Mary Brodrick owned the land upon which the house was built.

Michael Jennings (66) was a farmer married to Catherine (63). They lived with their 3 children Michael (19), Patrick (17) and Sarah (13). Michael and Patrick were labourers. All occupants could read and write apart from Catherine. All members of the household could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael Jennings owned the land upon which the house was built.

John Healy (50) was a farmer married to Mary (53). They lived with their 2 daughters Julia (18) and Sabina (16). They also lived with their grandchild John Hansberry (2). Mary, Julia, and Sabina could read and write. The 4 eldest members of the family could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. John Healy owned the land upon which the house was built.

John Flaherty (60) was a widowed farmer. He lived with his 4 children John (22), Nora (25), Michael (19) and Patrick (17). John (22) and Nora were also farmers and were the only members of the household that could read and write. All occupants spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Flaherty owned the land upon which the house was built.

James Nolan (60) was a farmer married to Mary (28). They lived with their 2 children Michael (6) and Martin (3). Michael was a scholar. Mary could read and write; James could not read. James and Mary spoke Irish as well as English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. James Nolan owned the land upon which the house was built.

Michael J Monaghan (40) was a farmer married to Annie (42). They lived with his mother Honoria (65) and Aunt Margaret Kinneen (60).They were both widows. They also lived with a farm servant David Wallace (26). All occupants could read and write and speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 1st  class house with 4 rooms and 6 windows in the front. Michael owned the land upon which the house was built.

Enumerators form 2

There were 5 private dwellings recorded all of which were inhabited. There was a population of 23 people, 9 males and 14 females. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. The heads of households were as follows, Bridget Lynskey, Patrick Kennedy, Patrick McLoughlin, Patrick Fitzpatrick and John Ward.

Bridget Lynskey (55) was a widowed farmer.  She lived with her daughter Delia (25). They could both read and write. Bridget spoke Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Bridget owned the land upon which the house was built.

Patrick Kennedy (46) was a farmer married to Bridget (40). They lived with their 6 children Hugh (18), Julia (16), Bridget (14), Lawrence (11), Winnie (8) and Patrick (5). All the children were scholars apart from Patrick. All occupants could read and write and speak English and Irish apart from Patrick (5). They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built.

Patrick McLoughlin (86) was a cottier. He lived with his wife Mary (65). They could both speak Irish and English and read and write. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built.

Patrick Fitzpatrick (60) was married to Anne (57). His occupation was recorded as a herd [sic] and Anne’s occupation was herd’s wife. They lived with their 3 children Patrick (25), Mary (27) and Arabella (20). They also lived with Patrick’s nephew Thomas Burke (11)  who was a scholar. All occupants could read and write apart from Patrick (60). All members of the household could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick Murphy owned the land upon which the house was built.

John Ward (50) was a farmer and shepherd married to Julia (26). They lived with their 2 daughters Mary (13) and Bridget (1). They also lived with their niece Kate (17). Only Mary could read and write. All occupants could speak Irish and English apart from Bridget. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Ward owned the land upon which the house was built.

 

1911 Census

There were 9 private dwellings recorded all of which were inhabited except for 1. There was a population of 22 people, 11 males and 11 females. All occupants were Roman Catholic and born in Co. Galway. The walls of each dwelling were made from stone, brick, or concrete. The roof of each dwelling was slate, iron, tile, thatch, wood, or some other perishable material. The heads of households were as follows Michael Jennings, Mary Broderick, Bridget Lynskey, Patrick Kennedy, John Healy, John Ward, Patrick Connors, Stephen Costelloe and Annie Monaghan.

Michael Jennings (77) was a farmer married to Catherine (68). In 1911 they had been married for 42 years, had 9 children, 6 of whom were still living. They lived with their son Michael (28) and daughter in law Julia (29) who had been married for just under 1 year. Only Michael (28) and Julia could read and write. All occupants could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Michael owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 barn.

Mary Broderick (70) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her son Thomas (21) who was a farmer’s son. She also lived with her 2 grandsons Michael Nolan (18) and Martin Nolan (14). Martin was a scholar. They also lived with a labourer John Coyne (25).  Only Thomas and Martin could read and write. John spoke Irish only; the rest of the house spoke Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Mary owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 fowl house.

Bridget Lynskey (66) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her daughter Delia (35) and son in law Pat Sherlock (38). Delia and Pat had been married for 7 years, had 4 children all of whom were still living and also lived in the household, Joseph (6), Mary (5), Margaret (2) and Michael (3 months). Bridget could not read. Delia and Pat could read and write. The 3 eldest members of the house could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Bridget owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 piggery and 1 shed.

Patrick Kennedy (68) was a farmer married to Bridget (57).  In 1911 they had been married for 29 years, had 6 children all of whom were still living. They lived with their 6 children Hugh (26), Julia (22), Delia (21), Lawrence (19), Winnifred (17) and Patrick (15). Julia was the only member of this census who was not born in Galway as she was born in America. Patrick was a scholar. All occupants could read and write. The 4 eldest members of the household could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built.

John Healy (63) was a farmer married to Mary (67). In 1911 they had been married for 35 years, had 5 children all of whom were still living. They lived with their daughter Mary Hansberry (33) and son in law Patrick Hansberry (42) who was also a farmer. In 1911 they had been married for 13 years. They had 1 child, John Hansberry (12) who was a scholar. Only Mary and John (12) would read and write. All occupants could speak Irish and English apart from John (12). They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Healy owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 piggery.

John Ward (66) was a farmer married to Bridget (36). In 1911 they had been married for 16 years, had 5 children, 3 of whom were still living. They lived with their 3 children Bridget (11), Michael (10) and Martin (7). The children were all scholars. No occupants could read or write. All members of the household could speak Irish as well as English apart from Martin. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. John Ward owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 piggery, 1 stable and 1 shed.

Patrick Connors (64) was a farmer married to Mary (54). In 1911 they had been married for 32 years, had 9 children, 4 of whom were still living. They lived with their 2 daughters Julia (17) and Norah (16). Patrick could read only; the rest of the household could read and write. Patrick and Mary could speak Irish and English. They lived in a 3rd class house with 2 rooms and 2 windows in the front. Patrick owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 cow house.

Stephen Costelloe (35) was a farmer married to Bridget (26). They lived with Stephen’s cousin Mary Furey (17). All occupants could read and write and speak Irish and English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 2 rooms and 3 windows in the front. Stephen Costelloe owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 cow house and 1 shed.

Annie Monaghan (55) was a widowed farmer. She lived with her mother-in-law Hanoria Monaghan (74) and aunt in law Margaret Kineen (72) who were also widows. They also lived with a farm servant John Laffy (35). All members of the household could read and write apart from John who could read only. All occupants could speak Irish as well as English. They lived in a 2nd class house with 5 rooms and 5 windows in the front. Annie owned the land upon which the house was built along with 1 stable, 1 harness room, 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house, 1 barn and 1 turf.

This page was added on 26/04/2022.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *